Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Television - Picture & Sound

Occasional Contributor
USER-981798

sony KDS-R60XBR2 GREEN TINT

I have a question for anyone that has had this experience with their TV. this past weekend my TV which I have had since 2006 which I purchased as a Christmas gift for me and my family, granted I have never bought anything as expensive as this TV but I was in the navy and just got my bonus for reenlisting another 4 yrs. whit that being said I have been a loyal Sony purchaser but when my TV started to have a real bad green tint and everything I tried to do, and yes I purchased another bulb even though the one I had wasn’t that old compared to the other 2 that I have bought over the life of my TV, still no help I then enlisted the help of a TV repair man whom luckily is a friend so he did not charge me to look at it. he said after looking at it and going in to the repair menu could not adjust the green tint, we proceeded to search out the internet to find out that Sony has had a class action lawsuit for problems with the light engine, being in the military I have moved 2 times since I purchased the TV and never received this info, after speaking to an online Sony rep I was told to call the number 888-649-7669 as they would be able to help me with this problem, upon calling the number I was told after waiting 20 mins for the Sony rep to come back after I had given him all the info only to be told that this TV was not included in the class action suit, and that all he could do is give me the number to the nearest TV repairman to come out and look at it thought that is great that Sony was wanting to repair my TV, but the rep told me that they would not pay for the repair just tell me who to call for me to call and get it repaired at my cost. due to my warranty had expired, SONY how can this be a good business answer, that you have known that there was a problem and that when a loyal customer as myself have that problem happen is now being told that they can’t do anything for me I feel that this is UNSAT, I’m now retired from the navy after 20yrs and there is no way that I ever thought that my 60 inch 4000 dollar TV would be no good only after 5 1/2 yrs. I would appreciate anyone’s help if they too have had this problem I love my TV but I can’t afford to drop 1000-1500 to repair a problem that Sony knew about. Feel free to email me at scottishere99@hotmail.com if anyone has any info on resolving this problem. Thank you Scott Humphrey.
P.S. I am not going to stop contacting Sony on this issue but I have determined that I will not buy any other Sony product till I have had Sony tells me a reasonable answer not just sorry but we can’t do anything. And I will also inform family and friends to not purchase a Sony product till they review how the company handles customers.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Sony_Support_US

Re: sony KDS-R60XBR2 GREEN TINT

Hello Scott,

Josh James with SonySupport USA. I apologize that you are having difficulties with your KDSR60XBR2 TV. For this issue to be resolved, you can email us at sonylistens@am.sony.com Please include your model#, a brief description, and any contact info. When you email us, please provide your Event ID # that I have created for you. It is E55444056.

I look forward in further assisting you!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
USER-981798

shame on you sony "read my emails"

Ok folks this is what you can expect to receice from sony when you try to resolve problems the answer is sorry and please accept or offer of you get to spend more money on a sony product which is smaller then your origial tv. this is unsat and i pledge to never purchase a sony product and will continue to post how sony treats there customer till they change the way they take care of there customers. spread the word people its time to let big buisness know we work hard to buy their products and expext to be treated fairly when the product is to befound defefctive. feel free to email me and let continue to spread the word together thanks for nothing sony

scott h

well thank you for you time Mr. James. i will not continue to to go on with this matter anymore since sony has shown me that the customer is just a dollar sign and figure there are more of me out in the world that thought if it was a sony brand it must be a execlent product. for sony to offer a replacment to the cutomers during to time when this problem was in the media and now to just say sorry you pay or you dont it doesnt matter to themis ashame, i will do my part in spreading the word of sony's practice of putting outbad products and not careing about what it does to people. Thank You Mr. James and Shame on you sony you will never get another nickle from me and if i can spread the word either by post blogs word of mouth on your practices then i will and hope that more people see what sony did when they put out a product that was determened bad and didnt care.

6:16 PM

Reply ▼

sonylistens Add to contacts

Hello Scott,

Good Afternoon! Thank you again for contacting Sony Support USA.

I apologize that you are not completely satisfied with the options that you have been provided. We appreciate you as a customer and since retaining you as a customer is very important, we offered a replacement option under 55’’ & 46’’ as a goodwill gesture. Under this program, SONY does not give out any ‘no cost’ replacement units.

As much as we try, unfortunately we are not able to meet every customer’s expectations. I apologize if this happens to be one of those times. You have our offers; please let us know if you change your mind.

Thank you,

Josh James

Customer Support Representative

Social Media Advanced Resolution Team

Post Sales Support and Promotions

Sony Electronics Inc.

This message and any attachments are solely for the use of intended recipients. They may contain privileged and/or confidential information! If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you received this email in error, and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this email and any attachment is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error please contact the sender and delete the message and any attachments associated therewith from your computer. Your cooperation in this matter is appreciated.

12:56 PM

Reply ▼

scott h

Mr. James from the post my wife has shown me the 46 in was offered to people not wanting to spend the money to get the tv fixed or opt for the 55in at a reduced rate and they took the 46 in as a trade for free and to drop any other claims to the light engine problem. Mr. James i don't think you understand that i'm living paycheck to pay check these days and to spend any money would mean not paying a bill for a couple months. if sony offered these other people the option of the 46 inch as a replacement ot the reduced price of the 55 inch tv how is it that they are not able to show me the same courtesy as they did with them. thank you scott Humphrey USN/Ret

12:19 PM

Reply ▼

Hello Scott,

I just tried calling you but you did not pick up. We can also offer you additional 46’’ offers including:

KDL46EX645 for $575.00+applicable taxes(includes shipping and 1yr warranty)

Or

KDL46HX750 for $725.00+applicable taxes(includes shipping and 1yr warranty)

I will update your file with these additional offers.

To take advantage of the offer please call us @ 1-239-245-6410, the phone hours are Mon-Fri 9am-5pm ET. When you call in, please provide your Event ID # that I have updated for you. It is E55444056.

Hope this helps. Have a wonderful day!

Thank you,

Josh James

Sony Electronics Inc.

This message and any attachments are solely for the use of intended recipients. They may contain privileged and/or confidential information! If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you received this email in error, and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this email and any attachment is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error please contact the sender and delete the message and any attachments associated therewith from your computer. Your cooperation in this matter is appreciated.

11:37 AM

Reply ▼

scott h

Mr. James my wife is getting tired of me trying to adjust the hue and color, telling my that if its a problem it something internal then its cant be fixed be an adjustment, so she went online and found post on this matter and showed me where other people with this problem was offered the 55 inch tv at a reduced rate or a replacement 46 inch tv, i still don't like the ideal of dropping from my 60 inch tv to a smaller on but i also know that there is no way i'm able to spend the money for a new 60 inch or even the offer on the 55inch tvs (1000 dollars) it no where in my retirement budget, and my wife and i do not want to have to watch a tv with green people, so i would like to see if sony will also show me the same consideration it had show others with this tv problem and financial difficulty and offer me a replacement tv (46 inch). i just would like to get back to watching tv and being able to enjoy it, along with knowing that sony is doing what is right and be able to say that i will still look to sony on further purchases and tell family and friends that sony is still there in helping out the working class people. i look forward to hearing back from you and thank you for your cooperation in this matter. thank you Scott Humphrey USN/Ret

9/13/12

Reply ▼

scott h

To sonylistens

Mr. James i would happily take a replacement but as i said before Mr. James i'm have not the funds to purchase another TV the whole point is i have a 4000 dollar TV that paid for thinking it would last me much longer then 5 1/2 years and no i don't have the money i used to when i was in the navy. living on a retirement from the military and working another job to make a living for my wife and kids. as i stated before i'm stuck with a 4000 dollar TV 5 1/2 yrs old with everything a shade of green. if sony can do anything to at least get me another tv for trade of my TV i would accept that . thank you for your time Mr. James and please inform your executives that i am sorry that sony has dropped to this standard and i will not do business with them till they show they have changed and i will let all my friends and all the navy personnel that will listen on any blog sites. Thank You Scott Humphrey USN/Ret

9/13/12

Reply ▼

Hello Scott,

I appreciate the acknowledgement in my assistance towards this issue.

As much as we try, unfortunately we are not able to meet every customer’s expectations. I apologize if this happens to be one of those times.

Unless you have any out of pocket expenses (lamp receipts, service) in the past 12-months, I cannot adjust the prices offered. Also, if you are able to downsize to a 46’’ TV, I can look up additional offers for you.

I appreciate you as a SONY customer. If you have any other questions, please feel free to email me.

Thank you,

Josh James

Sony Electronics Inc.

9/13/12

Reply ▼

scott h

To sonylistens

Event Id # E55444056

Well Mr. James i must say that never expected sony to get back with me with such fast response, what sony is purposing is great if i wasn't retired and had a 1000 dollars to put towards a new tv. as i previsoly explained i bought the tv knowing i was going to retire and wanted something nice that i could enjoy for longer then 5 1/2 yrs. i do not have that kind of money since i have retired from the navy and my retirement check isn't even enough that i have to still work to support my wife and 2 daughters. so as for me being able to purchase either one of the tv's offered is no where possible, so i guess im stuck with my 4000 dollar tv with everything shaded Green. i personally would like to thank you personally (i mean Mr. James ) i know you are only doing what sony's executives tell you to do and i do appreciate the prompt service you have shown me, with that said i would like for you to inform your supervisors and sony executives that i will no longer give sony anymore of my business and will let my friends and fellow military about what sony has told me in sharing these emails. i've worked hard for the things i purchase and so do a lot of other military personnel and for sony to know they have a bad product and will only offer to give a discount towards a smaller tv seems like a raw deal. Sony is not what thought they were when i purchased all my electronics from. once again i don't mean any disrespect towards you since you are only doing what you have been told but i will continue to tell anyone whom will listen how i was treated by sony and ask that they not purchase any sony products till sony decides to change how they do business after the sell. thank you. Scott Humphrey USN/Ret.

9/13/12

Reply ▼

Hello Scott,

Sony is not offering assistance towards repair of this unit. Sony does not feel that it is cost effective to have the unit repaired and feels the money would be better spent by putting it towards a new unit (new technology) with a new warranty. This is why we are offering these significantly discounted replacements. If you have a receipt for any out of pocket for a lamp replacement or repair/repair evaluation within the past 12 months, which you can send me a copy of, I can consider getting you a further credit off of the replacement costs. Just email the receipt to me here at SonyListens@am.sony.com and make sure that your Event ID number E55444056 is in the subject line. Other than that, or another model, the prices are firm. These offers are handed down from our headquarters and have been reviewed and approved by our legal department and without further documentation to show our auditors why we have deviated from the approved plan they are not able to be altered.

The offers available as a replacement would be:

KDL55HX750 $1000.00 +applicable taxes

or

KDL55HX850 for $1,065.00 +applicable taxes

Please review these offers and let us know by (09/20/12) if you would like to take advantage of one of them. To take advantage of the offer please call us @ 1-239-245-6410, the phone hours are Mon-Fri 9am-5pm ET. When you call in, please provide your Event ID # that I have updated for you. It is E55444056.

Hope this helps. Have a wonderful day!

Thank you,

Josh James

Sony Electronics Inc.

sonylistens@am.sony.com

9/13/12

Reply ▼

scott h

To: Mr. Josh James
Subj: Green Tint on TV

Mr. James first off i would like to thank you and sony for the response back from my post didn't think someone from sony would contact me, and with that i do thank you. as per your response to my discussion Tv's Model # is KDS-R60XBR2 and my Event ID is E55444056.

my problem as i stated in my post is that i purchased this TV while in the military knowing i was going to retire soon and wanted a TV i assumed would last me for quiet some time. this past week i started to experience a green tint on my screen, i have tried to adjust the hue and color and also had a friend the works on TV come take a look and he was not able to adjust the tint, when we searched my model number online i found out that this model and a few others have been experiencing trouble with the light engine and there was a class action lawsuit associated as a result of the problem.

being in the military i have moved twice since i purchased the tv and therefore never received anything telling me of this problem. i have purchased sony products my whole life because i felt like sony was a good company and made excellent products. when i went online to talk to a sony rep. i was given the number 1-888-649-7669 to call due to it being a technical issue. i called and was asked to give all the info on the TV and told to please hang on which i did for over 15mins only to be told that the model i had was not a model that was affected by the light engine trouble. (but when i look up the issues online and also seen a few post on the sony blog that i posted on pertaining to my model, it makes me to believe that the rep told me this either as a lie or just not knowing the right info.)

the rep. then told me that he could give me the name of an authorized repairman that can come out and look at the TV and repair it, but that i would have to pay for the service call and repair, all info into this problem has shown me the cost to repair is anywhere from 700 to 1500 dollars. WOW like i said i bought this tv expecting it to last me a long time not the 5 1/2 yrs that i have owned it and to pay over 4000 dollars for the tv was a lot for me and knowing was going to retire from the navy with in 4 yrs.

i have always purchased sony brand when ever possible and have never had any major problem with any item i have purchased as your records will show that there is no service call from me to sony company. but i feel like i needed to due to the cost of my tv and the age only 5 1/2 yrs old along with discovering the problem that sony has acknowledge. i would love to have my tv back to normal but i hear that the light engines are refurbished and some go out with in a year, but i love to watch my football games on the tv so yes i would like to get it fixed. but to put 700 to 1500 dollars out of my own pocket just does not seem right for a defect known to exist. Mr. James i would really appreciate your help in getting this resolved so i can be one of your loyal customers that can post to my family and friends on face book that sony stands by their products and their customers also.

My contact email is scottishere99@hotmail.com along with my home phone, Cell and work . and my home address is
once again i thank you for your help in resolving this matter and i know that sony will do the best they can do to help remendy this problem V/r Scott Humphrey USN/Ret.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
USER-981798

just look how sony treats loyal customers

sony KDS-R60XBR2 GREEN TINT
ok folks scroll down to my origanail post and read the whole post on what sony told me about my tv. funny that other people were offered to have tv fixed or offered a reduce prices on a smaller tv or were given the option to receive a 46 in free for a replacment. well take a look at my post and see how sony is now wanting to sell the tv and not help people that spent hard earned money on a product not even 6 yrs old. KEEP AN EYE OUT OF MY POST AROUND THE INTERNET I WANT TO MAKE SURE EVERYINE IN THE WORLD SEE WHAT THEY DID TO ME. (BASICLY WE CARE ABOUT YOU SO DO YOU WANT TO BUY ANOTHER SONY TV LOL) SPREAD THE WORD TELL THEM TO REACHEARCH BEFORE BUYING SONY
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Sony_Support_US

Hello Scott,
I'm Sarah Kepler, the supervisor for Sony Support. I completely understand your frustration and I do empathize with you. Sony understands these TV's did not meet our customers' expectations and to tell you the truth, they didn't meet our expectations either. However, your model is from our 2006 product line and was unfortunately involved in a class action settlement back in 2010. Since then, Sony has fulfilled their responsibilities made in that settlement and the extended warranties have expired. For the last couple years, Sony was providing a replacement program, for our customers, which was designed to continue helping beyond the court appointed obligations. However, due to the age of your 60XBR2 now, we had to remove the model from our program. Be that as it may, we certainly appreciate you as a customer and since retaining you as a customer is very important to us, we still wanted to extend the replacement option to you as a gesture of goodwill. If you are interested in a 60" model, we do have one coming out and I would be happy to calculate a price for you.

As much as we try, unfortunately we are not able to meet every customer’s expectations and I apologize if this happens to be one of those times. I do appreciate your understanding. If you'd like to speak further with me, please feel free to email me at sonylistens@am.sony.com or private message me on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/SSUSASarahKepler.

Best Regards,
Sarah
Please use plain text.
USER-982766

I also have a KDS-R60XBR2 and the screen went green on me. I've tried contacting Sony via telephone and messenger. They absolutely accept no responsibility for creating a poor product. Now I'm stuck with a TV that I don't want to watch and the customer service for Sony just wears a person out.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
USER-988836

read before buying a sony product

caution reading this post may cause the user to change their mind on buying a sony product
Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
talakot

I also have the same problem with a KDS-R60XBR2 that i purchased in 2006.  About a 1.5 years ago it started to have a green tint that is unable to be corrected with any settings you choose.  I have also replaced the bulb thinking that may be the issue, but it did not correct the problem.  

Sony, has there been any update regarding support on the green-tint issue for the KDS-R60XBR2?

Given what i've seen searching the internet these are not isolated issues.

Please use plain text.
AngelaP

Re: just look how sony treats loyal customers

Hi talakot!

Thanks for the message. That is not the news that we want to hear. Are you getting the green tint on every channel and input? If yes, that may be an indication that the TV needs service. You may refer to this link to locate the nearest Sony authorized service center in your area. ​
Please use plain text.