Welcome to the Community!

VAIO - Hardware & Networking

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Contributor
Message 1 of 10 (2,302 Views)

8GB RAM upgrade for VPCCW17FX

The system can be upgraded to 8GB per Sony's own specs/product literature, Intel, and those of every third-party memory supplier. Before you ask the usual questions, I followed the memory upgrade procedure to the letter in the user manual just to be safe even though I have done it hundreds of times before as I work in IT for a living, the memory module type and specs are correct for the system, both modules work perfectly and have passed tests individually when used in either slot, and those memory slots are fully functional with no problems as is every other piece of hardware in the laptop according to diagnostics. If I have just one of the 4GB SODIMMs installed, the laptop boots normally, but with both 4GB modules, it simply idles when turned on with no activity beyond the CPU and GPU fans humming away. No loading of the BIOS, no error messages, no CPU or HDD activity. I can only conclude that there is a defect that requires a BIOS fix.
Contributor
Message 2 of 10 (2,302 Views)

Re: 8GB RAM upgrade for VPCCW17FX

Upon further testing, I got the laptop to start up normally with 6GB of RAM, which led me to do some more research into the problem. Turns out there is a flaw with the Intel chipsets that were used with the Core2 CPUs. I realized my HP desktop with a slightly older Intel chipset (but also a Core2 chipset) using the same memory controller and i/o controller design had the exact same issue where it could not boot with more than 7GB of memory, which is why they never offered that model with 8GB of RAM instead of the 6GB they shipped it with. They fixed it in a subsequent BIOS update which I had to install before upgrading the memory.
Contributor
Message 3 of 10 (2,302 Views)

Can I get some acknowledgment that someone from Sony has actually read this?
Rookie
Message 4 of 10 (857 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi there, im considering this same memory upgrade, in the posts you said you had to perform the BIOS update but no confirmation of success, were you successful with the upgrade?, hope you remember. BIOS version in my laptop is R0210Y5. I'd would be nice to have confirmation before ordering the new memory.

Cheers

Rookie
Message 5 of 10 (745 Views)

I'm having the same issue with a VPCCW13FB. My current BIOS version is also the R0210Y5. Did any of you solve the issue? If so, how did you do it? Thanks in advance!

Message 6 of 10 (725 Views)

Hi gustymg

Thank you for visiting Sony Community! 

I believe VPCCW13FB has 2 memory slots. Have you tried putting 2 x 4GB? Make sure to use DDR3 800/1066 MHz RAM.  

For further assistance, we kindly recommend visiting our Sony Global Website for information on contacting the Sony Support Center in your region at http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/Support/.

Regards,

Vincent 

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Rookie
Message 7 of 10 (723 Views)

Hey Vicent,

The PC comes with 2x2gb. I bought 2x4gb 1066mhz. If I put both 4gb, it doesn't work. I tried all combinations between the 2gb, 4gb and empty memory slot. It does not work on the following combinations:

*Slot A: 4gb Slot B: 4gb
*Slot A: 2gb Slot B: 4gb
*Slot A: Empty Slot B: 4gb

So basicly any combination with the 4gb memory stick on the "Slot B" does not work. Works with 6gb but not the full 8gb.

Any tips?

Rookie
Message 8 of 10 (634 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi gutsym,

Unfortunately nobody answered me, so i didnt attempt the upgrade, did you succeed with the upgrade to 8GB?, im trying to resume the project of upgrading this laptop VPCCW17FX because it is in good shape, a bit slow though but that's what im trying to improve.

From your post i see you succeeded to upgrade the memory to 6GB, always Slot B with 2GB. 

Did you get any tips or solution with the memory upgrade to 8GB?

I'd appreciate any answer on the subject.

Cheers//Alejandro 

Rookie
Message 9 of 10 (614 Views)

Final post on this one.

I decided to take the risk and buy the 8GB (2x4GB) memory upgrade, didn't have any problems whatsoever, everything booted up correctly.

For the record, the VAIO VPCCW17FX had originally 2x SODIMMs Elpida 2GB 2Rx8 PC3-8500S-7-10-F1 (EBJ21UE8BDS0-AE-F)

And i bought 2 used ones, even different brands between them:

SlotA: 1x SODIMM SAMSUNG 4GB 2Rx8 PC3-12800S-11-11-F3

SlotB: 1x SODIMM HYNIX 4GB 2Rx8 PC3-12800S-11-11-F3

They are working perfectly well, 8GB is shown in CPU-Z and Windows.

In case of any problems i would update this post, if not update is because everything is great.

Message 10 of 10 (590 Views)

Hi alegarpar

Welcome to Sony Community! 

We missed your post, sorry about that. The maximum memory your laptop VPCCW17FX  can handle is up to 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3/1066https://docs.sony.com/release//specs/VPCCW17FXR_mksp.pdf

We are glad that the replacement RAMs are working properly. But I hope you won't experience an issue with the speed. 

Regards,

Vincent 

Answered your question? Glad I could help! Please Click the "Accept as Solution" button below.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook