Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 13 (3,224 Views)
Accepted Solution

Always have had problems hooking up my VGN-T150 to a wireless network

I've always had trouble hooking my VGN-T150 onto my standard Linksys N router. I've done the driver updates and have tried about every adjustment, and just did a Registry cleanup/fix to no avail. Anybody got a key to this aside from updating my 2004 Vaio?

Expert
Message 2 of 13 (3,210 Views)

Re: Always have had problems hooking up my VGN-T150 to a wireless network

Hello Markbel,

Thank you for your post.  There could be many possibilities causing your wireless issue to not working with your Linksys N router.  If I would have to take a guess - it could be the wireless adapter on VGN-T150 (Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG) isn't compatible with the current wireless mode and/or wireless security method that you set on the wireless router.  I recommend you to contact Sony support for directly for further triage.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/select-system.pl?DIRECTOR=CONTACT

Message 3 of 13 (3,208 Views)

Which wireless encyption are you using on your router?  This is how i would troubleshoot...

1) plug an ethernet cable from your router to your VAIO

2) log into the router and remove all wireless encyption / passkey

3) Attempt to connect to the router wireless

If the above method works then there is 2 possible issue

a) enter the wrong passkey

If a) then re-create the passkey

b) an issue with the specific encyption that you have setup (example: WPA2 with AES)

if b) try setting up the router with a different encyption

Sony Community Manager
Sr. Software Engineer
Peter Tat
Message 4 of 13 (3,207 Views)

one more thing.  Setup your router to broadcast G signal only instead of N.  I believe your VAIO doesn't accept the N signal band.  Your VAIO PC only accepts B and a G signal.

Marketing Spec:

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/VGNT150series_mksp.pdf

Sony Community Manager
Sr. Software Engineer
Peter Tat
Enthusiast
Message 5 of 13 (3,196 Views)

Thanks for the hints. It seems my VGN-T150 always picks up the network the router broadcasts, but I switched the router band to the G signal only. No result. I also switched out the wireless networking board on the motherboard....seems I've tried everything. The only time the wireless worked ok was right after I downloaded the updates from the Vaio services website. Then it simply stopped after I did not use the laptop for about a year.

Message 6 of 13 (3,194 Views)

Try this:

1) Download the lateset wireless driver h

2) Uninstall the Wireless driver by going to the device manager, expand networks, right click on the wireless driver and select uninstall

3) Restart the PC

4) Install the updated wireless driver http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=VGNT150&upd_id=4469&os_group_id=13

5) Restart the PC

6) Try to connect to the wireless access point

Also what type of router do you have? (Model number and Brand)  . I highly recommend to make sure we have the latest firmware of the router installed as well.

Sony Community Manager
Sr. Software Engineer
Peter Tat
Enthusiast
Message 7 of 13 (3,190 Views)

Hi. Thanks again.

I did exactly as you recommended and nothing different. The laptop acts the same way when I put in a bad password as when I put in the good one, too, I noticed. Maybe that means something. The router is a Linksys WRT120N.

Message 8 of 13 (3,187 Views)

Does the issue occurs even if there is no password?

I found that Cisco release a firmware update for your router however i was unable to view the release notes:

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/support/routers/WRT120N

Select the download tab and obtain the update for your router

Sony Community Manager
Sr. Software Engineer
Peter Tat
Enthusiast
Message 9 of 13 (3,185 Views)

I took your advice and updated the router firmware. I also confirmed it's updated. I want to check on this password thing. Why it's just timing out is interesting. Seems as if the laptop is not transmitting. I'm using a Network Magic interface and it's tracking the laptop when it's on the network via cable, but there is no evidence the laptop is transmitting wx.  Any suggestions? Thanks again for all of this. I'll pick this up again ni the next day or so. If I don't catch you before, Happy Thanksgiving!

Enthusiast
Message 10 of 13 (3,177 Views)

OK...interesting....I started all up this morning and it worked! No kidding, but at 54Mbps...not sure if that's where I'll top out. Seems as if the router needed to be reset as the network name was "linksys" when I looked into it. Now I have to figure out why it happened....but for now I'll enjoy the use.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook