Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Hardware & Networking

Tuning Up
nivkagan

Brightness Adjustment on New Sony VAIO / Win8

I just got a new SONY Vaio laptop with Windows 8 preinstalIed.

Adjusting the brightness has no effect on the actual screen brightness.

While the buttons and menus are working and it shows the brightness settings changing, the actual brightess doesn't change.

I reinstalled the driver and then the brightness did change accordingly, but after the computer sleeps or restarts I am experiencing the same problem.

This is a SONY VAIO Model SVF1421DCXW  

What's going on???

Please use plain text.
RichO

Re: Brightness Adjustment on New Sony VAIO / Win8

Hi nivkagan.  I understand that your function keys (FN) are working when you said that the buttons are working.    Do you have the correct video driver installed from our esupport website?

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
wesleyxi

[ Edited ]

I experience exactly the same on the new Sony VAIO Pro. Fn+F5 and FN+F6 work after each reboot. Then after some cycles of sleep and resume, they no longer actually change the brightness despite that the on-screen brightness bar moves. I've reloaded the right video driver and made sure all settings of "auto brightness" are turned OFF. No help.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
wesleyxi

RichO wrote:

Hi nivkagan.  I understand that your function keys (FN) are working when you said that the buttons are working.    Do you have the correct video driver installed from our esupport website?

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

RichO, it is not the driver, but something in the BIOS or Windows system that stops working after a sleep of the laptop. I found a short sleep does not affect but putting the laptop in the sleep mode over a night will render the brightness adjustment useless.

Please use plain text.
NickT

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay. As for the brightness issue, please bear with us as Sony Eng is working on resolving this issue as we speak. Once they have a resolution, it will be posted at esupport.sony.com. So please check regularly.

Nick--

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
mkiraz

I also have the same problem with my new notebook.. I bought 2-3 weeks ago and faced with several issues... PLEASE HELP ME!!... since the brightness doesn't change the battery gone in a very short time. My laptop is vaio svf152a29w Mehmet
Please use plain text.