Skip to the end of navigation

Welcome to the Community!

VAIO - Hardware & Networking

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 3 (1,001 Views)

Chipset driver file AWOL, VGN-S150 (really old lappy)

Let's start out with an admission that this thread is about a ridiculously old laptop. It is what it is.

I tried to download the chipset driver(s) for a VGN-S150 that I just reinstalled Win XP onto. I promise I won't surf the net on it. The other drivers that I downloaded from the VGN-S150 support page were all "gettable."

The DL for the chipset driver file is missing in action. You go to the download source web page, start the file download process, agree to the Software Agreement and then you get ...

Nothing.

Source web page
---------------
https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=PCGZ1RA&upd_id=1003&os_group_id=13

File
----
IN-G07010802ES.EXE

Should be @ this URL (but isn't)
--------------------------------
http://dlv.update.sony.net/US/pc/IN-G07010802ES.EXE

Could somebody in PC support or website administration please take a look at this server/website problem?

The other drivers that I tried all came down just fine.

A hearty Thank You! is bidden to you by Mr. AncientHardware.

Enthusiast
Message 2 of 3 (897 Views)

Re: Chipset driver file AWOL, VGN-S150 (really old lappy)

It's been four days and Sony support can't restore ONE measly file from backup?

I sure hope that the Sony support website makes backups.

Look at the web page pointed to by the URL in my prior post that points to the esupport.sony.com domain. On that page is info that indicates that the VGN-S150 has Intel 810 and/or 855PM support chips ... or some combination of them or something very like them. The main point is that the support chip(s) in these laptops are in the Intel 800 series.

The models below are SUPER CLOSELY RELATED to the VGN-S150 and it's a sure thing that they also use Intel 800 series support chips.

VGN-S50B, VGN-S70B, VGN-S90PS, VGN-S90S, VGN-S150P, VGN-S170, VGN-S170B, VGN-S170P, VGN-S150F, VGN-S150FP, VGN-S170F, VGN-S1HP, VGN-S1VP, VGN-S1XP, VGN-S16GP, VGN-S18GP, VGN-S16SP, VGN-S18SP, VGN-S16LP, VGN-S18LP, VGN-S16C, VGN-S17C, VGN-S18CP, VGN-S16TP, VGN-S18TP

So, we need Intel 800 series support. To make sure I had this I used the Intel INF Update Utility. You can find the version of it that I used (9.2.0.1030) by putting the search string below into the world's most popular search engine.

site:intel.com "INF Update Utility Primarily" "6, 5, 4, 3, 900 Series Chipsets" "xp"

Version 9.2.0.1030 is from 2011. You can probably use some later versions and many earlier version of that utility (YMMV). If the version of the utility you are looking at doesn't support XP then you know you're on the wrong web page. Look at the subsequent web page pointed to by the "Release Notes (htm)" link on the INF Update Utility page. You need to find support listed for "Intel® 800 Series Chipsets." If you don't see that then keep looking.

I suggest using the EXE version. It will be pointed to by a link in/near this phrase: "please see the EXE version." The EXE version is just easier. You download the EXE and copy it onto the VAIO laptop. After you run it you're done.

infinst_autol.exe is the file you will get from the download. Run it on the laptop.

As I type this the direct Intel download URL is ...

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/20019/a08/infinst_autol.exe

But, that location could change at any time (and most certainly will over time).

Good luck!

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 3 (864 Views)

Re: Chipset driver file AWOL, VGN-S150 (really old lappy)

After running infinst_autol.exe I notice the following in the log file generated by the installer:

Installed FNS(Intel(R) 82855PM Processor to I/O Controller - 3340 ) == New FNS(Intel(R) 82855PM Processor to I/O Controller - 3340 )
Installed FNS(Intel(R) 82855PM Processor to AGP Controller - 3341 ) == New FNS(Intel(R) 82855PM Processor to AGP Controller - 3341 )
Removed INF = C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINU~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\IPMx2\All\855.inf
Total filtered: 1
[INFs Not Filtered Out]
No INFs left.  System is up to date.
Readme Version: 9.2.0.1030
[CopyDir]
[CopyFiles]
New Uninstall Key = copyfile0
Copy File Source = C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINU~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\IPMx2\CSVer.dll
Copy File Destination = C:\WINDOWS\system32\CSVer.dll

I also notice that when I search directly for an 82801DB OR 82801DBM driver on the Intel website that I get pointed right back to ver. 9.2.0.1030 of the INF Update Utility. That's the right one for this mobo.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook