Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Hardware & Networking

Groovin'
Mikenotmike
Accepted Solution

Control+Shift+Arrow key combination doesn't work on Vaio Flip 14

I have a new Flip 14, but the Control+Shift keyboard combination doesn't work with other keys.  For example, Control+Shift+Left should select the previous word in a text editor. Or for example, Control+Shift+L should start a bulleted list in Word.  Occassionally these combinations work, but mostly they do not.

I wrote an app to watch the keyboard, and when Control+Shift are held down, usually nothing else comes through.

It doesn't matter if I use the Control/Shift on the left-hand side of the keyboard or the right-hand side.

Without the Control+Shift combination, the keys do work though.  For example Control+Left always works, and Shift+Left always works.  And the Windows on-screen keyboard works correctly for the full Control+Shift+Arrow combination.

I used the Vaio Care utility to make sure I had all the updates, which did update the Bios, but that didn't help.  I updated to Windows 8.1 and all the Microsoft updates, but that didn't change anything either.

I went back to Best Buy, and they had two Flip 14 models out on display, and both had the same problem.  I tried a Flip 13 and a Flip 15 and neither had the problem.

Please use plain text.
RyanC

Re: Control+Shift+Arrow key combination doesn't work on Vaio Flip 14

Mikenotmike,

I apologize for this inconvenience.

I can duplicate your symptom on various Flip 14 models here.  It seems to work every 10 or 20 tries.   Very frustrating; I agree.

I have submitted a formal escalation to engineering.  I do not know how long it will take to develop a solution.  In the mean time an external keyboard can temporarily relieve these symptoms until engineering has a chance to evaluate the issue.  Thank you for the detailed feedback, and thank you for your patience and understanding.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
NotAmusedUser

Having the same problem here...

After spending more then 6! hours of updating the system to a mostly useful state (touchscreen ghost inputs, hd most of the times 100% utilizaiton, hd clicking noise when laptop hold in 30 degree, ventilator running most of the time + still laptop getting hot < 23% cpu load, bad peformance of pinball fx2 {tested on battery}) I finally had Windows 8.1 and Office installed, just to find out that one of the things that worked for the last 20 years suddenly dissapeared?!

Unfortunately I'll need an answer to when this issue will be fixed before this Friday (12/13/2013), otherwise this laptop goes back to the sender (in this case BestBuy).

As simple as this ctrl-shift-arrow issue seems, it is crucial for my daily work (Document Writing, Programming, etc.)

Sorry if I sound a little bit rude, but you can see me as quite dissapointed customer who is wondering what QA stands for...

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
Remy-J

I bought this laptop (SVF14N13CXB) last weekend, installed all the new drivers and 8.1, and just discovered this issue.

Although my other problems (very well-explained in this thread) have been for the most part resolved, I'll need to return this laptop if this issue isn't fixed by next weekend, as my work requires extensive use of ctrl-shift commands.

In the meantime, I found that Sticky Keys is a viable workaround. Still, as an end-user, I shouldn't be forced to resort to this option.

I'm surprised any of this model's major problems made it through R&D/whatever debugging Sony performed. Hoping customer service will do their best to pick up the slack.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
NotAmusedUser

Yeah, pretty annoying that simple things don't work. But luckily it seems that they could fix it with some driver/firmware update, as the key-combinations sometimes get recognized.

My fear with all the 'quality' of this system is that the wiring of the keyboard itself may not allow these keys pressed at the same time

Anyway, will update my impressions-thread as new things came up :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
cebols

Yeah, just discovered this issue recently and got frustrated aswell. Waiting for a fix for this problem, as it shouldn't be too complicated and probably can be fixed with a firmware update. PLEASE SONY, fix this problem. As a heavy Photoshop User, ctrl + shift commands are a huge thing for me.

Please use plain text.
Garage Band
cmdarby

I'm having the same issue with my new Sony VAIO Flip 14 laptop (SVF14N11CXB):  Shift + Ctrl key combinations are not working with the arrow keys.  I'm also observing that a reverse tab ( Shift + Tab ) is also not working, leaving me to have to press the Tab key repeatedly to return to a particular menu or button vice just going backwards with the Shift + Tab key combination.  Additionally, I'm also observing that the Shift + Fn + Home key combinations are not working, which I have used on other computers to reverse highlight text on a line back to the beginning of a line.

As was observed by another user these key combinations to appear to work eventually if one presses them repeatedly (maybe five to twenty times in a row).

I'll begin looking into how to post a trouble-ticket with Sony on this matter...  not sure if these message boards are actually useful towards resolving problems or just a place to discuss them.

It is very tempting to return this laptop to Best Buy if this isn't resolved, however, since these are some very basic and often utilized capabilities:  I've used these key combinations for years to great gains in application use efficiency, particularly with word processing, email and application development.  I have a little over one week to make a decision before I will be unable to return this to Best Buy.

Chris

( cmd at kcmo dot net )

Please use plain text.
Garage Band
koko0

Any news about that?
i'm suffering from the same problem, and it's really affecting my daily use of my vaio flip.

i really hope it's not a hardware issue, but it's reproducing in Ubuntu OS also.

Please use plain text.
Garage Band
cmdarby

I've been through level 3 and level 5 support and am intending to continue speaking with the next support group (level 7), hopefully soon, and will share anything that I learn.

Thank you for mentioning that you are running a Linux O.S. on the same hardware and observing the same problem.  Assuming that you're running the O.S. natively (and not as a windowed virtual machine under M.S. Windows) this would suggest that the resolution to this problem most likely lies with a future BIOS firmware update.

Please use plain text.
Garage Band
koko0

I booted a native Ubuntu OS from a USB device, not a virtual machine.
that's actually a bad news, fixing problems that are not OS/Drivers dependent most of the time is not a matter of little update.

let's hope it's solvable without sending it back.

thanks for sharing the information!
Please use plain text.