Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Hardware & Networking

Tuning Up
JackALope52x
Accepted Solution

E Series Laptop Touchpad and Keyboard Not Working

Hello,

I just recently bought a VAIO E Series laptop with Windows 8. When I took it out of the box I worked on it for a few hours installing all of the programs I use and bringing all of my data over from my old computer. I restarted the computer a few times in the process and all was fine. When I was finished I went to turn off the computer and I noticed the option to "Update and Restart", I clicked on this because I realized that I hadn't even updated Windows.

When the computer finished and restarted the touch pad and keyboard were no longer working. There is no curser on the screen and none of the keyboard keys are responding on screen. The keyboard does light up when I press the keys but they do not do anything else. I also tried to plug in multiple wired / wireless keyboards and mice and they don't seem to work either. When I plug them into the USB port the computer chimes to inform me that a device is connected but the computer still doesn't recognize them.

I was wondering what is causing this problem and if there is a way to fix it? Please let me know if any more information is needed to help resolve this problem. Thanks in advance for any and all input.

-JackALope

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
Miguael

Re: E Series Laptop Touchpad and Keyboard Not Working

[ Edited ]

Hello Collin,

Welcome to the Sony Community.

As the external keyboard is also not working, therefore other troubleshooting steps cannot be performed. In this case, the only option is to perform a complete system recovery to restore your computer to the factory settings.

Follow all the steps mentioned here to perform the system recovery:

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36806

If the issue persists, contact Sony Service Assistance Team here: http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/service.pl

Note: It is required to take backup of all the data before performing the system recovery, as it erases everything.

Regards,

Miguael

Please use plain text.