Welcome to the Community!

VAIO - Hardware & Networking

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Message 1 of 9 (3,496 Views)
Accepted Solution

Erratic Touchpad

I just received my new VPCEC390X and have been experiencing erratic touchpad behavior. While typing, mainly Word and Excel, the cursor will move all over the screen and and start opening tabs, shortcuts, etc. I have also been unable to clink into text boxes (the type for registering software) and the address bar in IE and Firefox. I either tap or left click into the box and nothing happens.

Online Chat said to disable the tapping feature, but then why have a touchpad? Anyone else have this problem or a solution? I have performed all Windows 7 (64-bit Pro) and VAIO updates that I could find. I even searched manually for the touchpad driver and it was the same that I had, but did not reinstall.
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 9 (3,496 Views)

Re: Erratic Touchpad

Hello Jimmy,
I agree, disabling double tap is a short term solution. Check the touch pad utility itself instead of the driver. It is possible the default windows mouse driver installed over our touch pad utility.

reinstall Notebook control utility
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-do ... 6&os_id=45
and shared library.
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-do ... 1&os_id=45
Occasional Contributor
Message 3 of 9 (3,496 Views)

Yes Jimonfly I have exactly the same problem (as do many others -- I think)

I have an VPCEB3AFM laptop and the mouse will jump all over the place if you accidentally touch any other part of the touchpad (with another finger -- or in my case the side of my right thumb). It jumps around while typing. It jumps around when you miss the physical buttons even though your original touch finger has not been removed from the touchpad.

I tried this on several laptops in the Sony Style retail store and about 30% exhibited the same problem. In particular, all the laptops with the ALPS touchpad had this erratic mouse jump behavior and all the laptops with the Synaptics touchpad worked as expected.

This problem still occurs with multi-touch settings disabled and click timings set to the most conservative. The only thing that stops the mouse from jumping is to disable "tapping" but this an essential function in my opinion.

I sent my laptop for repair to the Sony BackStage folks and they said it is "Working Normally". They are sending a tech to my home next week to see the problem in person.

I have a feeling this is either an ALPS hardware or driver issue.

ps - I can make a youtube video if you would like to see if your problem looks like mine.
Occasional Contributor
Message 4 of 9 (3,496 Views)

jimonfly,

I just checked sony's esupport site and found out your laptop does indeed have the same touchpad as mine. The ALPS touchpads seems to be the common denominator. Please let me know if you find a better solution that disable "tapping".
Occasional Contributor
Message 5 of 9 (3,496 Views)

Sorry, the "disable tapping" fix that once worked is not working now. It was before I sent my laptop in for repair. I got it back from Sony Backstage yesterday. All the settings in the Mouse properties dialogs seem reasonable. I don't what has changed. The only workaround I have not is to completely disable the touchpad I guess. Let me know if you guys find a better solution.

ps - I tried updating "Sony Components" (control center / shared lib) but nothing changed.
Occasional Contributor
Message 6 of 9 (3,496 Views)

He is a video of the erratic touchpad behavior I'm experiencing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8bAJwnw-j8
Message 7 of 9 (3,496 Views)

As someone who is looking to purchase a laptop this week, this doesn't look good. Seems like alot of users here and on other sites are complaining about the touchpad...I will keep watching this to see the outcome. Hopefully its a software issues and not a hardware issue....
Occasional Contributor
Message 8 of 9 (3,496 Views)

Laptops with the Synaptics touchpad appear to work correctly. I would avoid anything with an Alps touchpad however until Sony addresses the issue (either via drivers or hardware). I don't get the feeling they even accept that they have an issue.

Good Luck
Occasional Contributor
Message 9 of 9 (3,496 Views)

I agree. My Vaio Vpccw21fx does the same. It's driving me nuts. My calls to the out-sourced tech support and service center (in India) has been a lesson in wasted effort.
I've. . . reinstalling drivers
reverted to default settings (there it just bloody did it again!!!)

several minutes editing this jumbled mess . . . curses!

used the system troubleshooters
set and reset win 7 drivers updates, settings
install generic drivers
use usb mouse

I just need to type without the text and cursor sending me everywhere but where I need to be!!! Sony must make this right and supply some sort of update or repair.

It now takes me forever to write a single paragraph.

Unless something miraculous happens, going forward,
I will NEVER buy another product bearing the Sony label.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook