Welcome to the Community!

VAIO - Hardware & Networking

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Message 1 of 9 (26,181 Views)
Accepted Solution

How do you reset the BIOS password?

I have a Sony laptop where the hard drive went bad. It has a BIOS password on it. I replaced the hard drive and went into the BIOS to change the device boot priority. Now my BIOS password won't work, and after three failed attempts it gives me a 16-digit hash and asks for a one-time password. There's obviously some way to generate a one-time password based on this hash, but I've looked everywhere and it looks like there are people out there who know how to do it, but none of them tell you exactly how. I called Sony support and they told me I had to send the laptop in to get the password removed, but I really don't have time for that. How can I generate a one-time password and gain access to my machine again?

Thanks in advance.

Message 2 of 9 (26,163 Views)

Re: How do you reset the BIOS password?

Hi dbarney.

A resolution for this issue is available, but for security purposes, this resolution can only be provided by a telephone support representative.

You can contact Sony Telephone Support Here: http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/support-contacts.pl?mdltype_id=24

Note: To ensure that only the rightful owner is granted access to the computer, a copy of the proof-of-purchase will be required at the time of the call.

Message 3 of 9 (26,159 Views)

Call SONY and have proof of purchase.

Othewise you'll need to take apart the whole laptop, find the cmos battery and remove it for a few seconds... in other words, you'll need to know what you're doing.

Message 4 of 9 (26,077 Views)

Message 5 of 9 (6,799 Views)

I received no help from this contact information. They told me to go to Best Buy. Worst customer service I've ever delt with. Big disappointment. They wouldn't let me talk to a manager or someone who could tell me anything but to remove the cmos batt. Of course that didn't work. I like Sony products but guess I'll have to take my money elsewhere.
Message 6 of 9 (1,341 Views)

tech support @ 888-476-6972 - WILL NOT HELP YOU.  

If you mention the word 'BIOS' the Sony agents redirect all callers to Best Buy as a hardware issue.

Best Buy will ask what operating system you are running, and then tell you to take the laptop to a store and purchase a protection plan.

Message 7 of 9 (1,277 Views)

Hi Nezdar,

Welcome to Sony Community!

Kindly visit the link below for more information on how to reset or remove a forgotten BIOS password, https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/41463/c/65,66/kw/How%20to%20reset%20or%20remove%20....

Answered your question? Glad I could help! Please Click the "Accept as Solution" button below.

Message 8 of 9 (1,184 Views)

I appreciate the response but the linked article has the same phone number.  The agents will not attempt to assist with a bios password reset.  They list taking the laptop to Best Buy as the only option.  I don't have a Best Buy in my area.  Sony should support their products directly or not provide a BIOS lock.  I appreciate that the forum community reviews these posts, but you are not in touch with what the agents are scripted to say.  The links you are providing will not get assistance to anyone with this type of laptop.

The bios password is the equivalent to the Apple ID lock.  You can't get past this feature without an unlock code or by removing the CMOS battery.  It was implemented by Sony on a select few laptops without a backdoor (other than hacking) and does not allow users to regain control of their own property when someone else inadvertently of malicously puts a BIOS password in place.

There is a simple solution, provide the service originally promised to the purchasers.  Answer the calls and have the ability to give out the unlock codes that the BIOS requests.  

Message 9 of 9 (32 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have the same issue. I bought a Sony VAIO SVS13122CXR back in December 2012 and I can no longer get in to the BIOS. I will need help on this too...

Guess what, removing the CMOS battery did nothing! SONY! I do not want to pay for support for something so simple! I work in a support job and we provide courtesy support and make our customers important. You should really start to move from "what's in it for Sony Support" thinking to "Customer Centric or Customer Experience" support.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook