Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Hardware & Networking

Tuning Up
dbarney
Accepted Solution

How do you reset the BIOS password?

Hello

I have a Sony laptop where the hard drive went bad. It has a BIOS password on it. I replaced the hard drive and went into the BIOS to change the device boot priority. Now my BIOS password won't work, and after three failed attempts it gives me a 16-digit hash and asks for a one-time password. There's obviously some way to generate a one-time password based on this hash, but I've looked everywhere and it looks like there are people out there who know how to do it, but none of them tell you exactly how. I called Sony support and they told me I had to send the laptop in to get the password removed, but I really don't have time for that. How can I generate a one-time password and gain access to my machine again?

Thanks in advance.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
Miguael

Re: How do you reset the BIOS password?

Hi dbarney.

A resolution for this issue is available, but for security purposes, this resolution can only be provided by a telephone support representative.

You can contact Sony Telephone Support Here: http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/support-contacts.pl?mdltype_id=24

Note: To ensure that only the rightful owner is granted access to the computer, a copy of the proof-of-purchase will be required at the time of the call.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
DaNPrS

Call SONY and have proof of purchase.

Othewise you'll need to take apart the whole laptop, find the cmos battery and remove it for a few seconds... in other words, you'll need to know what you're doing.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
JeromeJones

Please use plain text.