Welcome to the Community!

VAIO - Hardware & Networking

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apprentice
Message 11 of 38 (1,670 Views)

Re: How to replace Vaio Flip 15 keyboard

I appreciate you letting us know how the recovery or reinstall goes.  My issues started after both Windows and VAIO updates were installed, and looking at the forums here, it doesn't appear to be just us.

Expert
Message 12 of 38 (1,643 Views)

If the keyboard doesn't work in the BIOS, no amount of reinstalling the OS or drivers, recovery or rollback is going to change anything.

Unless there is something particularly weird about EFI BIOSs compared to the legacy stuff I'm used to, and a Windows update somehow changed some EFI setting, I don't think there is any possible way to fix this with software.

Apprentice
Message 13 of 38 (1,583 Views)

You were right... Smiley Sad Reinstalling didn't help. By the way, numbered screws (in step #6) separate cpu and gpu from cooling system, and this may cause erasure of thermal grease layer and overheating.
Expert
Message 14 of 38 (1,575 Views)

Yes, be careful not to touch the grease, but you need to move that out of the way to get to the final screw holding the keyboard in, so there is no choice (assuming you actually need to replace the keyboard, which obviously I didn't really need to, since it's some other hardware issue most likely). If you don't get dirt or oil on the thermal grease, it will be fine.

The only software possibility I think is if it's some EFI-related initialization. I've been building computers for over 20 years, and EFI is the only thing I don't really know enough about to know if there is some low-level code that isn't being ran that is needed to initialize the keyboard, or something along those lines.

There is also the possibility that it's a sensor related to the screen modes (laptop, viewer, tablet) or autorotation. I'm not entirely sure, but if the keyboard is turned off on a hardware (not software) level based on those sensors, it may be confused into always turning off the keyboard. That code could be BIOS/EFI-level code, if that's even how it works. I don't really know because it would be specific to Sony Flips, not really a generic thing.

Expert
Message 15 of 38 (1,436 Views)

The Windows 10 upgrade did not magically make my keyboard start working, so in case anybody was hoping for that, it's almost certainly a hardware problem that cannot be fixed at all.

Rookie
Message 16 of 38 (1,213 Views)

I'm having precisely the same issue as topic creator :/

I'm most certain it's software/update related because I was working on the laptop, noticed some updates so I left my computer to download/install Windows update... came back an hour later and boom keyboard doesn't work. Even though the keyboard doesn't work in BIOS, I personally think it's still software related because the timing of the keyboard breaking (seconds after an update?) is just too convenient.

I'm going to uninstall Win10 and install Win8 in hopes that does the trick (Sony did warn VAIO users not to update to Win 10 so it's my own fault)... anyway I'll update my findings but it may be a few weeks from now (I'm lazy).

Personally, I still love Sony with a passion and own countless Sony products (4k TV, high-end receiver, PS3/PS4, 4 VAIO's, cameras, Sony Rolly, AIBO, the list goes on and on), this is the 1st Sony product that failed (that I can recall), so in a weird way I'm happy.

Just ****** because I use this laptop for tons of stuff at home and at work :/ 

Enthusiast
Message 17 of 38 (1,169 Views)

Hi all.

I had keyboard issue on my Vaio Flip 15 (keboard not working).

i wached this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zirEfruB_Jk and its helped.

Go to device manager

keyboards - your keybord- update driver software- browse my computer for driver software - let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer - click your driver.

Guess it helps you

Expert
Message 18 of 38 (1,158 Views)

None of these solutions worked. The problem most of us are having here is hardware (or possibly firmware) and cannot be solved without replacing the whole motherboard most likely.
Rookie
Message 19 of 38 (1,151 Views)

My keyboard works now!!

I was about to reformat but decided to make sure I have all windows updates so I went to Windows Updates it found 5~ updates needed, updated it and suddenly the keyboard was working.

You have no idea how excited I am... I had same symptoms as everyone here... So my recommendation to everyone here is to double check all Windows Updates are installed.
Expert
Message 20 of 38 (1,143 Views)

My laptop is up to date. I went through the 8.1 and the 10 upgrade and the keyboard still didn't work after either of those. I did the recent "big" fall update to windows 10, and all the small updates since then. Keyboard still does not work.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook