Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Hardware & Networking

Groovin'
ppatel11
Accepted Solution

Internet not working although laptop says it's connected to modem and "Internet Access"

My laptop indicates that it is connected to our modem and that it has "Internet Access". However, I can't use the Internet on any of my browsers. I've tried turning my Wi-Fi on and off, and that did not do anything. I also tried restarting my laptop and the modem, but that did not do anything either. I checked the Device Manager to see if the NIC was working properly. That said it was working just fine. Unless it's lying to me. I connected an Ethernet cable to my laptop, but I still could not get onto the Internet. I ran my computer in safe mode with networking with an ethernet cable but still could not get to the Internet. I have no idea what the problem is.

I used troubleshooting and this is what it returned to me:
"The connection between your access point, router, or cable modem and the Internet is broken."
I did what it told me to and restarted my modem...again. It didn't work.

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
mobluesfan

Re: Internet not working although laptop says it's connected to modem and "Internet Access&quot

I am having the same issues.  My internet connection seems to be fine.  I can connect to the internet on my company laptop, xbox 360, roku, and my cell phones, but not my personal Sony laptop.  When i check the connection it says its fine, but when i run a diagnostic it says "The DNS Server is not responding."  I checked with my cable company and they "refreshed" my signal, but it still wouldnt connect.  Same as yours, through wi-fi or straight with an ethernet cable. 

If someone could help us out we would both appreciate it.

Thanks,

KD

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
ppatel11

Re: Internet not working although laptop says it's connected to modem and "Internet Access&

I actually ended up posting this same question on another forum and got some help. My internet works perfectly okay now. I don't know how well these things transcribe from one situation to another, but I can provide you with the link.

http://www.pchelpforum.com/xf/threads/internet-not-working-although-laptop-says-i-have-internet-acce...

He helped me go through my system and get rid of things I didn't need. Then he told me to do some other things that I would not be comfortable explaining. You should give your question a shot, they are super helpful. Fixed my laptop in an hour with his help after trying for several hours to do it by myself.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
mobluesfan

Re: Internet not working although laptop says it's connected to modem and "Internet Access&

Thank you very much. I will try them tonight and hopefully they can fix mine as well!!
Please use plain text.