Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Hardware & Networking

Groovin'
JKIMFORLIFE
Accepted Solution

Laptop wont turn on after new battery.

[ Edited ]

A couple days ago when I got back home I found that my VAIO VPCF1290x of 3 years had died. The battery indicator had been telling me to get a new battery but I thought it would suffice for the time being. 

Problem: Laptop wouldnt turn on after pressing the power button.

1) With the adapter and the battery still in my laptop, pressing the power button did not turn my laptop on. However when i did press the power button the green light battery indicator(the button itself) turned on for about a second, then dimmed quickly.

2) After reading some forums i decided to discharge my laptop by holding onto the battery button for a good 30 seconds then trying to turn it back on WITH the adapter. This turned on my laptop but it took a good 2-3 seconds for the laptop to make any sound as if it was about to turn on.

I have since then bought a new battery and for some reason my laptop wont turn on at all. When i plugged in my new battery to condition it the green power button came on again for about a second then faded away. 

I dont know what the deal is with my computer and would like some help. I KNOW that i probably have to get it repaired but would like some idea as to why my laptop is behaving like an ******. 

EDIT***

To give more information, when i have the OLD battery placed in the computer the battery indicator is a constant blinking orange.

With the NEW sony battery back the same thing occurs where the battery light is constantly blinking orange.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
Miguael

Re: Laptop wont turn on after new battery.

Hi JKIMFORLIFE.

Make sure that you've purchased the exact battery for your computer.

Try turning ON the computer using only the AC adapter, if it doesn't work the issue may be related to the hardware and service may be required.

You can contact Sony Service Assistance Team here: http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/service.pl

If the computer is booting using the AC adapter, the issue is with the battery and needs to be replaced.

You can get back with the Service Tag # of your computer, so that we can provide the exact model # of the battery compatible to it.

Note: If my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution."

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
JKIMFORLIFE

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the reply

I apologize for responding so late but since I commented in this forum I have found the problem by taking it to a repair shop.

Through testing, with multiple batteries and adapters, the repair shop has concluded that there is a problem with my motherboard.

My computer only works with the adapter plugged in and without a battery connected to the laptop. The battery light indicater keeps flashing orange whenever i try to use my battery and the situation is pretty S****y. 

I will probably post something related to getting a new motherboard because this topic will probably get burried.

Regards

Jihwan

Please use plain text.
RyanC

[ Edited ]

Hello jkimforlife,

I edited the language in your post.  I apologize you are having an issue with your VAIO and its perfectly okay to voice frustration but please lets keep it "G Rated" for our younger community members.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
JKIMFORLIFE

Apologies

Please use plain text.
RyanC

[ Edited ]

I realize the cost of an out of warranty repair can be something to heavily consider.  If you decide to move forward with repair, let us know if you need any help getting started.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
JKIMFORLIFE

Iam in a pretty frustrating position because of my battery/motherboard problem.

The entry point for the adapter on my laptop is kinda loose, so sometimes even a little tick will unplug the computer and depower it; plus its a laptop and i cant move it anywhere :smileysad:

I created a post about people sending laptops for new motherboards, and was wondering if you had any facts on whether or not it's practical, the cost of repair, and time consumption.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
RyanC

I own a VPCF model not too different from yours and it definitely still handles my day-to-day tasks well.

However, deciding if a repair will be practical in terms of cost and time consumption is something i'm afraid you will have to decide.  Other non-Sony employees in the community may be able to provide you more opinion on the subject matter.

If you choose to move forward with repair, I can assure you that we hold your notebook to the same standard as a brand-new one after repair.  The issue you are having with the battery could be a poor connection on the motherboard or it could be a bottom-housing issue. Both of these problems can certainly be fixed at the repair depot.  Motherboard replacement happens to be a common type of repair  because today's notebooks usually have most components all on one board.

If you choose to buy a new computer, you will be replacing one that is a couple of years old and you will enjoy features and benefits that newer hardware has to offer.  Please keep in mind that a new VAIO will likely have Windows 8 on it.  This may impact your decision if you have software that is not compatible with Windows 8.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
JKIMFORLIFE

[ Edited ]

A new VAIO would be nice, but with prices these days considering a VAIO is somewhat of a struggle.

I use my laptop mostly for school work and gaming, and going through the VAIO catalog I cant seem to find a laptop with the most recent graphics card or something with similar specs/price as this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314016 ACER laptop.

Have any suggestions?

PLUS do you know anything about pricing on a new motherboard? I dont know if youre avoiding this, or if you just dont know. A rough estimate would be nice.

EDIT: I hate windows 8, and would rather use windows 7

Please use plain text.
RyanC

Out of warranty repairs at the Sony facility are typically a flat-rate repair price.  I would estimate around 4-500$ but this can vary for different models.  If you call in to set up the repair they can quote you the flat rate price that would include parts, tax, labor and shipping.

Please use plain text.