Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Hardware & Networking

Tuning Up
KauaiDaze

My DVD/CD burner stopped working. Been on chat 2x, tried updating drivers, no luck.

I had a major issue after a Windows 8 update and had t refresh my machine.  I have a VAIO laptop, E Series, just purchased in November of 2012.  After refresh, I created a repair disk and was in the process of creating system image disks, when the DVD/CD drive stopped working.

I have been on chat 2x and both told me to update drivers that dod nto match my hardware. Of course, this did nto work.  I checked the hardware properties and it says the device is working properly and I checked for updates to the drivers -- says they are up to date.

I am startng to think this is a mechanocal issue, but I want to be sure before I have to pack up my VAIO and send it in for repair! Any suggestions out there?

Thanks...

Please use plain text.
RichO

Re: My DVD/CD burner stopped working. Been on chat 2x, tried updating drivers, no luck.

I just want to know if it no longer read any disc.  Try to load other media and see if the drive will read the contents of the disc.  If it doesnt read disc that used to work in the past then the drive will require service.  

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
TeachingPro

Re: My DVD/CD burner stopped working. Been on chat 2x, tried updating drivers, no luck.

I had the exact same problem after doing an Windows upgrade. I also did a system refresh to reload the drivers, and low and behold, the CD/DVD was working normally. A system restore was suggested if the refresh didn't wok.
Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
KauaiDaze

It no longer reads any media.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
KauaiDaze

When I did the system refresh to revover from the Windows update (not upgrade), I lost all my programs and had to reload them all.  Thankfully none of them are on CDs! I am trying to avoid doing that again.

The DVD Burner worked after the refresh.  It stopped working while I was creating a System Image. 

Please use plain text.
RichO

[ Edited ]

You can try to identify whether the optical drive has a hardware failure already.  Check the boot priority in BIOS.  The optical drive should have priority over the hard drive. Then load any other bootable disc that you have.  Switch off and switch on the notebook.  If it does not boot to the disc then you will know that it's a hardware issue and the optical disc drive will require replacement.

Please click here for the service options available for your VAIO computer.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Please use plain text.