Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Hardware & Networking

Tuning Up
Mike
Accepted Solution

My Sony Vaio does not recognize the cd/dvd player

For some unknown reason my Sony Vaio now does not recognize the cd/dvd player.  Does anyone have any idea regarding this problem?

Please use plain text.
PeterT

Re: My Sony Vaio does not recognize the cd/dvd player

What is the model number of your VAIO PC?  What is the OS?

I would first check if there is a yellow bang in device manager for the optical drive.  If there is a yellow bang then you may be required to delete the upper and lower filter within the registry.  This solution can automatically be provided through the VAIO Care application - -> Troubelshooting --> Optical Drive

Sony Community Manager
Sr. Software Engineer
Peter Tat
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
Miguael

Hello,

Thank you for the post.

If there is any yellow exclamation mark under the CD/DVD/ROM Drives category in the Device Manager follow all the steps mentioned here: http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/documentLink.do?externalId=C501168

Next, you can also try to run the fix it from here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Regards,

Miguael

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
aschroots

Hello,

I have the same problem of only VAIO care not recognizing my optical drive to create recovery discs.  I do not have a yellow indicator under my DVD/CD-ROM drives in Device Mangaer.  I'm not sure what you meant by yellow "bang"  This problem has been there since I purchased my machine about 3 years ago.  My computer is a VPCF115FM.  My optical drives is an Optiarc BM ROM BC-5500S4.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
aschroots

In addition to this problem, I noticed that under, I have two BD-ROM Drives identically named "BD-ROM Drive", except that one is the D drive and the other is G drive.  It looks like Vaio care is looking for D, but when I insert a disc into the drive, it shows up in G.  When I try to run optical drive diagnostics in VAIO care, it only does it for D drive which doesn't work.  Vaio care always says there is no disc in the drive.  In addition to the Optiarc BM ROM BC-5500S4 under DVD/CD-ROM drives in Device Manager, there is also an ELBY CONEDRIVE SCSI CdRom Device.  Is one supposed to be D and one G?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
NickT

Hi aschroots,

Please follow this process to resolve your issue.

Nick--

Please use plain text.