Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Hardware & Networking

Groovin'
bdare
Accepted Solution

My VAIO laptop will only charge to 80%. Is this a bad battery?

My Vaio laptop will only charge to 80%. Is this an indication of a bad battery? When plugged in the message states: "80% power available (plugged in, not charging)"

Please use plain text.
Sony Employee
PatrickK

Re: My VAIO laptop will only charge to 80%. Is this a bad battery?

[ Edited ]

Good morning bdare,

All batteries have a limited lifespan (a limited number of charge/discharge cycles). To increase battery lifespan, the Sony Battery Care program allows the user to choose a setting to halt laptop battery charge at either 80% or 50%, thus increasing the usable life of the battery. Constant 100% charging and discharging of a battery creates additional wear on its charge cells, and decreases overall battery life expectancy. Battery Care settings are found in the VAIO Control Center application.

Battery Care is disabled by default, but if a user commonly uses the laptop plugged into AC power for long periods, the battery will benefit by enabling Battery Care, only allowing the battery to charge to 80%. When disconnected from AC power, the battery will not run the system as long with only 80% charge, but it will save charge cycles on power cells and allow the battery to perform well for a longer period before needing replacement.

At your convenience, please review this tutorial video titled VAIO notebook computer battery troubleshooting guideline.

http://youtu.be/N2ldP07sNrA

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Best regards!

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
jeny32535

i have a sony vaio and it battery says plugged in,charging 0% but its not charging when i restart the computer it charges for 10 sec and then gets back to its original stat

Please use plain text.
RyanC

Hello jeny32535,

What specific VAIO Model do you have?

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
jeny32535

my laptop model is VPCEB15FM

Please use plain text.
NickT

Hi jeny32535,

Please refer to your main post here.

Nick--

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
leewiltshire

hi bought a vaio and it only charged to 80%,after looking around finding results, it was a safety thing battery etc etc.
i then had further problems when i upgraded to 8.1 and factory restored my laptop. after this and to my surprise my battery and what ever has recalibrated and fully charged to 100% , luckily i didnt have any docs saved on my sony, everthing is store on web thingies so i didnt worry about losing anything or backing up
Please use plain text.
Groovin'
sammy123

Its due to Battery care function..open battery control centre and then power and battery

Please use plain text.