Welcome to the Community!

VAIO - Hardware & Networking

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 4 (5,733 Views)
Accepted Solution

My Vaio Y Series can't detect the hard disk on bios screen, showing "operating system not found inst

i was working on my vaio when it suddenly showed a small version of the windows blue screen of death, i thought it was a normal windows crash, so i turned it off and on again, when it booted it didn't load the windows and showed a message "operating system not found" .... i rebooted and pressed F2 to enter the bios screen to make sure that the HDD is detected but it says
"Hard Disk Drive" : None

i removed the back plastic cover, and made sure that the HDD is well inserted , i unscrewed it, dettached it and reinserted it again, closed the lid and booted again with no change....

i searched the online community some people said that this can be fixed -some times- with a BIOS update, but the Update file on the Sony support page is for Windows only. so i can't make a bootable flash USB Drive to Flash the BIOS.

right now i have no access to the HDD , and have no access to windows to update the BIOS -if it will be of any help- .

What can i Do ?

Message 2 of 4 (5,718 Views)

Re: My Vaio Y Series can't detect the hard disk on bios screen, showing "operating system not f

oriondelgado,

Usually a BIOS update will not resolve your issue with the unit not detecting the hard drive.  If the unit does nost detect it you might want to swap out the hard drive first to see if that's the issue...

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 4 (116 Views)

Re: My Vaio Y Series can't detect the hard disk on bios screen, showing "operating system not f

Hi! I also got the same issue and when I tried to replaced my HDD with SSD, I still got "Operating system not found" flashing on my screen. Its a brand new 120gb SSD so I guess its working. I also check the SATA cable and its also working. Does it mean that I have to install new OS on my SSD first?

Thanks...

Highlighted
Message 4 of 4 (69 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Abanlean,

Welcome to Sony Community!

Is the new hard drive detected on BIOS? If it's detected and your getting the error "operating system not found" then you need to install an operating system. If it's not detected, you have to make sure that the new hard drive is compatible with the system and that all the connections are properly placed. 

You may visit the link below for additional troubleshooting steps,

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44854/p/48903,49902,74250,90772/c/65,66/kw/operati...

For further assistance regarding your concern, please contact the Sony offices/Sony representative offices nearest to your place of residence in Asia Pacific region http://www.sony-asia.com/countryselector.html?hpid=countryselector:AsiaPacific. Due to proximity, they are in a better position to respond to your questions or concerns.

Regards,
Jen

Answered your question? Glad I could help! Please Click the "Accept as Solution" button below.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook