Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Hardware & Networking

Tuning Up
jcandre
Accepted Solution

My Vaio laptop keeps restarting on its own (but only when connected to the internet)

Any advice would be appreciated.  As soon as I connect to the internet, my laptop (VPCSC) starts restarting on its own and will do it over and over again unless and until I unplug it from the internet, turn off the wireless adapter, or turn off the modem/router.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
madhawk95

Re: My Vaio laptop keeps restarting on its own (but only when connected to the internet)

I'm having the exact same problem.  What antivirus software do you use?

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
DaNPrS

Re: My Vaio laptop keeps restarting on its own (but only when connected to the internet)

Sounds like a malware issue.

You'll need to scan for and eliminate any malicious software on your system, sometimes this software prevents you from doing just that so might need to do this is "Safe Mode." 

Make sure you scan with at least an antivirus and a malware detector. You may also want to revert to a last know good configuration. 

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
jcandre

To answer madhawk95, I use Webroot, which is picking up nothing.  To answer DaNPrS, I’ve scanned in Safe Mode and tried to connect to the internet in Safe Mode.  Any more ideas?  Many thanks.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
DaNPrS

Ok 

In safe mode go to System Restore and default back to when the issue was non existing. Then I suggest you install Microsoft Security Essentials

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download

and a malware removal tool like malwarebyte and run them both

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

After you make sure everything is back to normal go back to System Restore and create a new restore point. Remember that when you 1st restoreyou'll lose any data created from the date of the restore point to today. Back up accordingly. 

Please use plain text.