Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Hardware & Networking

Emerging Star
exad008

Re: [New Sony Vaio Pro] Wifi Issue!

If Sony is so bad can you please enlighten us which company is a better choice and has a good professional laptop product currently with fast 512 GB SSD, TPM  <= 2.5 lbs weight  and minimum 13.3 inch screen with Windows running nativelyand also  working wifi.  I personally had to return Samsung Ativ 9 (non Haswell) before due to slow wifi in July before I tested Sony and it was much more trouble to return than Sony.  It also had worse keyboard and did not have 512 GB SSD.   Personally I have been very happy with Sony Vaio Z for the last 3 years and the 512 GB SSD on it was still 2x the speed of the Samsung Ativ SSD when i checked in June.  But please suggest something else.  I am open to suggestions.  So far the best bet for me is to just keep using my old Vaio Z.   

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
surg1

in response to the last comment: Keeping my 3 yr old Vaio Z is exactly what I have done also!

I am waiting for the new Samsung ATIV 9 or the new suped up ASUS infinity Zenbook

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
simon_p

Obviously there are plenty of options for you.  

Maybe compromise on something else like that ssd size and carry a ext hdd.  What I would never compromise on is working wifi.  In a business environment its a complete non started to visit another company having to show something to a client etc and having to say..... hold on a second please can we just go stand near the router because my laptop is sh*t.

Additionally buy another model that suits your needs and swap out the HDD yourself.

Really its just symantics your arguing.  

Heres a typical day computer use  for me.  

Wake up brekfast in kitchen - cant get wifi to read news check email as router is upstairs.

A) go to office where we have an open plan floating office to which I am limited to areas if I want WIFI.

B) Head off to up to 4 meetings a day at various locations all have wifi, not all have ethernet. Most dont have the router in the room.

Lunch  coffeeshops, canteens same problem.

Hotels on business.... same problem.

Airports...... yeh you get the picture. 

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
exad008

To me weight 2.5 lbs vs 3 lbs is a big deal -since i travel extensively with it every day and carry also ipad in the same bag -it adds up. I must have  512 GB fast SSD - large image data and many applications installed I need for the projects. I must have TPM  -it is a company requirment for data security on the go.  I could imagine I could live with the external mini USB stick permanently in the laptop -however ridiculous it is- (still weight much less then extra 0.5 lbs) for wifi if the laptop had  3 usb ports  but with 2  it is just not workable.  I guess for now it will be just my old Vaio Z.

There is for example Lenovo Carbon Touch X1 but the weight is much more and  the SSD is much smaller. Honestlly, I think 256 GB is just too small for any professional data intensive use. You would need to constantly move files back and forth from the laptop.  

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
simon_p

[ Edited ]

Sounds like sticking with the Z right now is best for you.  )

0.5lbs is nothing to me though........ as my arms arn't made of boiled spaghetti :smileywink:  ****** id even strain my back at a whole extra lb for a working computer.

Dont get me wrong the ideal computer for me IS THE SONY VAIO PRO 13 WITH WORKING WIFI.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
scatter

[ Edited ]

exad008 wrote:

So far the best bet for me is to just keep using my old Vaio Z.   

This thread made me believe, that good old days of Sony marketing a cutting edge technology, that actually worked, have gone. I, therefore, purchased myself a year old Vaio Z and keep my fingers crossed that I would not need any support for it. :smileyembarrassed:

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
awharton

Funny how a Sony moderator can delete posts on this thread but not answer a simple question of what the miracle fix is and when it will be available!

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
theyarerubbish

Yes the post was deleted again but no statement about the wifi problems on the Vaio how odd? Hey moderator how about statement regarding the fix for this problem ? Go on someone from Sony say something anything? Your public or should I say the people who help generate the revenue for you and your shareholders await your reply. 

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
theyarerubbish

[ Edited ]

Oooh what was that Mr Sony? Did you say something about a product recall and an eventual fix for this problem. What was that? Volkswagen announced a  recall for 2.6 million cars but Sony says nothing about some laptops? 

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
theyarerubbish

I suppose the post will be removed again? Is that right moderator? 

Please use plain text.