Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Hardware & Networking

Emerging Star

Re: !!! Money refunded after expired return period !!!

Just purchased the 3rd Pro 13 and this time from Amazon.com....This model has a different number  SVP1321SCXS and so far everything is sort of normal. Followed the recommended procedure and updated to 8.1 and no problem at home. Once I take it to office, we will see.

Meanwhile this one could be an option for many: Acer S7 with better screen

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model-datasheet/NX.MBKAA.015

Tuning Up

Re: [New Sony Vaio Pro] Wifi Issue!

Hi! A few weeks ago i bought a SVP and i'm having this wifi issue too. With the latest drivers there's no connection drop, but the performance is poor. I tried a dongle too, but it was just a half solution. When my other PC  can download at 1-1,2 MB/s, the SVP's speed hardly faster than 0,6-0,7 MB/s. Without dongle, it's even worse... about 0,4-0,5 MB/s. Strange thing that i only get these "high" numbers with the fan speed switched to fastest and power management switched to performance in the Vaio Control Center. If its in silent mode and power saver, it doesn't even reach 0,4 MB/s... Is there a way to change the Wifi Card or something? (hope it's covered in warranty)

I don't know if it's "just" a Wifi card problem, "couse the performance with the dongle is very poor too...

Emerging Star

Hi Folks.  Time for an update.  After 40+ days, Sony still has not sent me the "temporary" wifi dongle while we wait for "Microsoft" to fix the problem with new drivers, even after multiple requests.  So I called them today and learned that the previous rep didn't forward the information to the guys that actually ship stuff.  The dongle is now promised once again in 3-5 business days.

And then I asked the rep what the plan is going forward.  I told him that others on the Sony community forum have returned their Vaio Pros for "repair."  He said okay sure, if you want to go that route, you can call the local Sony repair centre in your area.  They'll send you a box to return your Vaio Pro and they will perform the "wifi rework."  So they have finally admitted to me that it's a hardware problem.  Anybody else been satisfied after "wifi rework?"

Top 40 Artist

[ Edited ]

I know why theyre not bothered about this issue, they're going to ****** the division to Lenovo. By all accounts they're in talks with them. LOL Lets close the forum guys its been an utter waste of everyones time. Sony can go **** itself!!

Groovin'

WiFi adapter is disabled on wakeup

Hi all, I realize this is a pretty tired thread. I've been following since last summer - I purchased my SVP13 i7 256GB 8GB from b&h when they had it for about $75 less than everywhere else. Since then I've experienced a lot of the same issues as everyone else and have been terribly disappointed. I've even gone so far as to tweet Mary Jo Foley to NOT buy this laptop because of Sony's lackluster performance (talk about getting the word out!).

Lately I've been experiencing a different issue - occasionally when I wake my laptop up, I won't have any wifi. I have to either reboot or go into device manager, disable the adapter and reenable the adapter. It says an error caused this driver to fail (or whatever the typical error is).

I am running 16.6.0.8 and have 8.1 installed.

I have a few other issues with this thing, but I will try sorting those out elsewhere. Man, this laptop is the most expensive piece of computer junk I've ever purchased.

Emerging Star

Re: WiFi adapter is disabled on wakeup

[ Edited ]

Note: the following does not solve the issue of poor wifi performance at weak signal strengths.

@Andygoes, my friend has experienced this exact problem and I solved it as follows...  See Sony article 43726 item 2 (copied below).  Do not allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/43726/~/the-wireless-throughput-(download-speed)-b...

2)Disable the power management setting for the wireless LAN adapter.

1. Press the Windows Logo + X key combination, and then on the menu click Device Manager.
  2. In the Device Manager window, double-click Network adapters to expand the selection.
  3. Under Network adapters, double-click the Intel wireless adapter.
  4. In the Intel wireless adapter Properties window, click the Power Management tab.
  5. On the Power Management tab, click to uncheck the box next to Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
  6. Click the OK button.

Additionally, there was a problem with the computer not showing or connecting to any wifi networks until about a minute after the computer is awakened from sleep.  I had this problem too and solved it as follows...

- go to Intel website if you can get your wifi working.  If not, visit another computer with a USB stick.  Use the link below or google Intel 7260 drivers.

- Download file "wireless_16.6.0_De164.exe" (~33MB) for Win 8.1 if that's the case for you.  Be sure to choose the smaller ~33MB files that DO NOT include Intel ProSet Wireless software.

- Right-click lower-left of screen and choose "Programs and Features."  Uninstall Intel Proset wireless software.  At the end, your Wifi driver will likely be downgraded to 16.5.3.6.

- To upgrade just the driver alone to 16.6.0.8 without the Intel ProSet wireless software, locate and doubleclick the file downloaded above.

Now Wifi icon appears 4 seconds after opening lid of computer.

This is what worked for me.  I have no idea the purpose of Intel ProSet software but I don't need it.  Good luck!  That Intel link is...

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Wireless+Networking&Produc...

Emerging Star

Lee if you read this entire thread you will see most complaints over the last three months deal with download speed when dealing with a signal strength of -65 or over. That problem is less with the dongle but there has been nothing done by Sony, Intel or Microsoft to provide a set of drivers for the internal 7260 N card to solve the speed issues. The same speed problem with this Intel card is plaquing Lenovo & Dell on other forums. Some think it is how Sony placed the WIFI antenna and others think it solely drivers. I've read that the same problem is happening on the new AC cards. We'll just hang in there.

Emerging Star

Déjà vu
With the new Laptop (initial windows was installed in November(purchased last week from amazon.com), out of the box, I tried the the signal strength of -60 with windows 8 and everything was normal. Now after weekend and installation of windows 8.1 with recommended Sony procedure, at the same signal strength of -60, everything is like ****** again.

On the old laptop, finally Sony is mailing me a check for full price I paid for it within next two weeks and repair center still has the laptop.
Emerging Star

@dkb194, I should have mentioned more clearly in my earlier post that those steps are only to solve @Andygoes' issue of the wifi not responding on wakeup, and not the problem of poor performance at lower signal strengths.  Sadly, the latter issue may never be 100% solved.   Perhaps I will edit.

@Nimche, thanks for keeping us updated.  Perhaps you should wait for the Vaio pro 2014 model, or go with something different altogether.  I do like this machine and I'm sticking with it for now  or until the 1yr warranty approaches.  Today I called Sony Canada and they are sending me a box to return the laptop for the "wifi rework."

Anybody have any info on when a Broadcom wifi card in the M.2  NGFF form factor will be available?

Groovin'

Thanks, I had 16.6.0.8 installed already without the ProSet stuff, but didn't have the option to prevent windows from turning off the device. I will try that out and see how it works. I have noticed that my computer dies over a couple days when closed, probably because of connected standby. I haven't tested all the signal strength issues, but I'm sure I have them, too, since I've had all the others from the beginning of my ownership.