Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 2021 of 2,031 (4,108 Views)

Re: [New Sony Vaio Pro] Wifi Issue!

How I solved the issue:

- replacing 7260N with 7260AC - no improvement

- changing a band from 2.4GHz to 5GHz - a little better

- replacing Sony's antennas with cheap chinese ones from aliexpress - way better, it looked that one of original antennas was broken

Never played with drivers (I don't use Windows).

So as for me, the problem is solved.

Apprentice
Message 2022 of 2,031 (4,040 Views)

Six weeks ago I successfully replaced the original WiFi card on my VAIO Pro SVP132A1CL with an Intel 7260-AC (replaced the Intel 7260-N wireless card with the Intel 7260-AC) by using the information provided in a post by user 'ceo' on page 202 of this thread. The post begins with the following:

"I have found the note below at "http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/official-vaio-pro-13-owners-lounge-svp13-2013.720737/page-21... Thanks to oozijk."

The following YouTube video describes the VAIO Pro disassembly process along with steps necessary to replace the fan. Even though I didn't replace the fan the video provided all the info I needed in order to access the wireless card:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqg7kJjE9NE

THANK YOU CEO and OOZIJK for taking the time to describe the fix in detail. Also THANKS to LARRY BLACKLEDGE for his excellent YouTube video.   

I bought the replacement wireless card on Amazon for $31.49 ("7260NGW Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11ac, Dual Band, 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0"). I also found the same card offered by other sellers on Amazon for less without Prime shipping and also multiple sellers offering the same card on eBay. 

Steps:

1. Upgrade to the Intel 7260-AC driver using the link provided by oozijk in the notebookreview thread. I shutdown the laptop instead of rebooting but I later found that it wouldn't have made a difference.

2. Remove the bottom of the laptop in order to reach the wireless card. This required a very small screwdriver and very good eyesight. Screws are hidden beneath the rubber feet near the back hinges, under the long rubber strip at the front edge, and under the removable cover in the middle of the bottom of the laptop. I found a YouTube video that gave a very clear description. Because the laptop bottom 'grips' the edges of the case you will want a video that explains this step clearly. The video author suggested using a few drops of SuperGlue to reattach the feet. I was careful when handling the strips and the feet have not fallen off even though I did not use the glue.

3) Use a grounding strap (or some similar technique) to avoid static shocks while replacing the card. 

4) The card is held in place by one screw. Two wires connect it to the board. Carefully pry those wires off the wireless card. You will press them in place on the new card after it is installed.

5) Carefully test the laptop while the bottom is off (wish I'd done this)

6) Re-install the bottom. This step is a bit tricky the first couple of times because of the ports on the side. Again, a YouTube video is very helpful

7) Start the laptop. Because you already installed the correct driver in step 1 above you're done. In my case wireless reception was immediately improved and no further action was required. I now have good signal in areas of the house where I previously had no signal. I have a Netgear NightHawk AC1900 router and no configuration changes were required in order to get the performance improvement.

In the notebookreview thread oozijk promises that the card can be replaced in 15 minutes. I obviously lack his skill and experience because it took me closer to 45 minutes the first time. I say 'first time' because I failed to notice that the only chip on the wireless card was crushed before I installed it the first time. This prevented the laptop from booting (no other damage). Amazon quickly replaced the card and the second time around it only took me 30 minutes. 

Good Luck!

Enthusiast
Message 2023 of 2,031 (3,881 Views)

Can you please link me to exactly which antenna you purchased.

I'm also running gnu/linux and I realize it's a 100% hardware issue.

Apprentice
Message 2024 of 2,031 (3,857 Views)

elouisyoung: I bought the "7260NGW Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11ac, Dual Band, 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0" from an Amazon Seller who no longer appears to be offering the card. When I click on the product link in my Amazon 'Orders' page it leads to this page:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GUNZUG0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

The card is offered here by a different Seller but the card itself looks identical to the one I installed. The card is offered for less money by other Sellers but this one has the highest number of reviews by far.

To be clear, I only replaced the card itself. I didn't replace the antenna because I read that this was more effort and I also read (somewhere in this thread?) that replacing the card alone is sufficient in most cases. I saw a huge improvement when I replaced the card and I'm currently satisfied. 

Rookie
Message 2025 of 2,031 (2,694 Views)

Hey there, been awhile since anyone has posted but just wondering about the wifi upgrades you made as I'm having issues, I've replaced the wireless card but still having issues. You mentioned you changed the antenna and that helped, where did you place the antenna within the chassis and do you have a link to the antenna you bought?
Enthusiast
Message 2026 of 2,031 (2,684 Views)

I replaced the wifi card with the newer one.  same problem.  it's a motherboard design flaw. sell the laptop, take the loss, and be done with sony

Apprentice
Message 2027 of 2,031 (2,625 Views)

elouisyoung and sh2306: I haven't seen the WIFI connection drop on my VAIO since I upgraded the wireless card six months ago and the range is now very reasonable. I didn't replace the antenae. I can only guess that your laptops must have some other issue that impacts connectivity. I've also had issues with the touch pad which I fixed by following a YouTube. I wish I'd never seen this thing but for now it isn't giving me any problems. Good luck with the ongoing problem. If you can't fix it then I hope your next laptop treats you a whole lot better than these poorly designed VAIOs have treated all of us.  

Enthusiast
Message 2028 of 2,031 (788 Views)

[ Edited ]

steih wrote:

I have been using a Netgear R7000 dual band for over 6 months without any disconnects.

Thanks this worked for me Smiley Happy

The Nighthawk is my favorite router. netgear woot woot.

Enthusiast
Message 2029 of 2,031 (568 Views)

Enthusiast
Message 2030 of 2,031 (565 Views)

Just replaced 7260N with 7260AC - No improvement in my Sony Vaio. I shall either relocate the antennas inside the unit or buy longer ones with higher dBi gain. Longer antennas provide better gain on both receive and transmission. It amazes me how deaf my Vaio is. It won't reach my neighbor's Wi-Fi or any of the ones around house. My HTC mobile phone and Dell computer are way better than the deaf Sony Vaio.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook