Welcome to the Community!

VAIO - Hardware & Networking

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 61 of 2,034 (6,580 Views)

Re: [New Sony Vaio Pro] Wifi Issue!

I tested it in a public environment at Uni today at several access points and to my suprise connection was hassle free and i had a downstream of about 35MBits/s and no diconnects, whereas i expected something much worse...

Enthusiast
Message 62 of 2,034 (6,551 Views)

Thanks to all for this discussion. I've returned the laptop to Sony and will consider them again once the bugs have been fixed.
Message 63 of 2,034 (6,005 Views)

Hello All,

As of yesterday, VAIO Pro models now have a WLAN update to version 16.0.1.14 for the Intel Wireless 7260 chipset.

The update:

• Improves Wireless LAN connectivity
  • Improves file transfer when using the Temporal Key Integrity Protocol (TKIP) encryption for 802.11a or 802.11g connections

You can obtain this update at the Sony Esupport website.  Enter your VAIO Pro model number, Click on Drivers & Software tab and locate the wireless section.

Sony is seeking feedback as to if this update resolves your wireless connectivity issues.

If the update does not resolve the problem, please let us know by posting the following information:

• What is the exact issue?  (please be specific)
  • What is the Wireless Driver Version installed? (Wireless Version - 16.1.0.14)
  • Brand and Model name of access point (Router)
  • Firmware version of Access Point (Router)
  • Approximate Distance of notebook to the router or access point
  • Security type (WEP, WPA, etc)
  • Network type (A,B, G, or N)
  • Freq Type : 2.4Ghz or 5GHz

Please use the above list as a template to announce the condition of your wireless connection if you still need assistance.  Thank you for your time.

Enthusiast
Message 64 of 2,034 (5,851 Views)

Hello,

What if my model number is not listed on your site?

My model number is SVP1321M2EB

Expert
Message 65 of 2,034 (5,806 Views)

[ Edited ]

wojcieszku wrote:

Hello,

What if my model number is not listed on your site?

My model number is SVP1321M2EB

Hello woj, your model seems to be a UK model so the driver is available on the UK site. Ryan linked us to the US site as this is the .com forums per se. I've got the link for you below. Cheers:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/SVP1321M2EB/updates

Don't forget to report back. Whether it works for you or not is good information for RyanC and the other Sony support people.

Cheers,
Keiran
#SuperUserbySony
Enthusiast
Message 66 of 2,034 (5,773 Views)

Just installed the update. Seems to have resolved all the issues!

The connection now works like a charm at home, i'm going to check other routers soon, but I think that they've found the problem and eliminated it Smiley Happy

Apprentice
Message 67 of 2,034 (5,713 Views)

Issue: connectivity goes from 5 to 1 or 2 (directly next to the router) and connectivity is slow and goes from 4 to 0 (next room). all without any reason (not touching or something else)

Driver: preinstalled version & updatet to 16.0.5.3 (both the same issue)

Router: WVM Fritz Box 6340 (Cable) (@home), same problem with an netgear router @work and an unknown router at a public building (university)

Firmware (Router): most actual

Distance: see issue

Security type:

300 Mbit/s

WPA2, WMM, STBC

Network type: 802.11n+g+b

Freq type: 2,4Ghz

---

New Driver Version: 16.1.0.14 (downloaded from sony.de)

Issue: connection ist more stable, but its still very slow the longer the distance between router and my vaio.

Direct next to the router theres 15Mbps downstream. in the next room theres only 1Mbps.

With my other computer, theres in every room 49Mbps downstream!!

Issue definitely not solved, but a little bit better.

i have 2 more weeks, to decide if I keep the vaio pro... i'll give you some days, but at the moment, the vaio is not usable for me!! I'm really mad!!

Please excuse my bad english, but I'm from Germany.

Enthusiast
Message 68 of 2,034 (5,694 Views)

This solution did not work for me.  I am currently using my second sony vaio duo 13.  I sent back the first one and now the second one has the same awful wifi function.  Wifi works perfectly if the node is within arm's length, literally.  10 to 20 feet away and it becomes nonfunctional -- 1 to 4 Mbps or less.  This is true at multiple locations with many different routers. 

I currently have a second return label that Sony has already sent to me.  This time I'm asking for a refund rather than another machine.  Still, if there were a solution, I'd take it.  This seems like a beautiful machine, but the wifi has to work for it to be useful. 

My wifi chipset appears to be Broadcom SDIO adapter, not Intel.  Is this right? Or is the Intel chipset on my machine (SVD132190X) but I'm not looking in the right place?

Apprentice
Message 69 of 2,034 (5,691 Views)

Today, I received my replacement Pro 13, after I had returned my previous one because of the Wifi problems. The Sony support had guessed that maybe it was a bad antenna (which I did not believe), so they asked me to return that one, and ordered a new unit.

So I was curious to see if the new unit would perform any better. It did NOT.

Still the same problem, Wifi works ok directly next to the router, but gets incredibly slow (app. 0.1MBps) a few meters away.

So by now, I think we can forget about the theory of isolated cases of defective hardware. This is obviously a fundamental hardware and/or software design error.

So later today, I discovered here that there is finally a new firmware published, which shall improve the Wifi problems. Again, my hopes were high, and I quickly installed the new software version 16.1.0.14.

I tested it and... it does NOT work for me. Practically the same symptoms as before. There may be a slight improvement to the previous driver versions, as I have not experienced any disconnects this far, and the connection speed went up to app. 0.3-0.7MBps, and sometimes - rarely - up to app. 1.5 MBps. All other devices at the same location achieve app. 6-7 MBps on an 8MBps nominal connection.

Still, this is definitely not acceptable.

• What is the exact issue?  Low connection speed when not directly next to router (app. 0.3-0.7 MBps on 8 MBps connection)
  • What is the Wireless Driver Version installed? Wireless Version - 16.1.0.14
  • Brand and Model name of access point -  Netgear DG834GB v3
  • Firmware version of Access Point (Router) - 4.0.1.40 (latest)
  • Approximate Distance of notebook to the router or access point - app. 10m, through 2 brick walls
  • Security type - WPA2-PSK
  • Network type - G
  • Freq Type : 2.4Ghz

Guys, it's good to finally see you're working on this, but this is just not good enough. I've probably bought a dozen VAIOs over the last ten years for myself and our company, and I'm a loyal Sony customer for other equipment as well, but you're about to lose me and many others here if you don't do better quickly - very quickly!

I see the date of the new driver is 28.06.2013 - this was just when the new Vaio Pros began to be shipped. So, obviously, Sony must have known very well about the issue at the time already and still decided to ship them.

Why? So Sony can claim they are among the first to ship notebooks with the new Haswell processors?

We are not the Beta-Testers for Sony's or Intel's half-baked developments. The largest part of the customers for this line are surely business customers, who require a reliable machine for serious work.

I'll be watching the further development of this issue a few more days to see if any real solution may come up, but if not, I'll return this second laptop as well, this time for a refund, and will need to look for something more reliable.

mak78

Expert
Message 70 of 2,034 (5,672 Views)

[ Edited ]

j_duffy wrote:

This solution did not work for me.  I am currently using my second sony vaio duo 13.  I sent back the first one and now the second one has the same awful wifi function.  Wifi works perfectly if the node is within arm's length, literally.  10 to 20 feet away and it becomes nonfunctional -- 1 to 4 Mbps or less.  This is true at multiple locations with many different routers. 

I currently have a second return label that Sony has already sent to me.  This time I'm asking for a refund rather than another machine.  Still, if there were a solution, I'd take it.  This seems like a beautiful machine, but the wifi has to work for it to be useful. 

My wifi chipset appears to be Broadcom SDIO adapter, not Intel.  Is this right? Or is the Intel chipset on my machine (SVD132190X) but I'm not looking in the right place?

Should be the Broadcom adapter. This further pushes my suspicions that it is actually the 4th gen Intel chipset that is the problem and not the wireless cards themselves. Something does not like to play nice. We'll need a different thread or support claim for the Duo's that contain the Broadcom wireless cards as this thread is mainly for the Intel 7260 cards. Seeing as there hasn't been an update since 6/26/2013 on the Broadcom adapter you will likely have the same problems until Broadcom sorts out a driver that works with the 4th gen chipset or until Intel releases a fix for their chipset.

@mak78

I have reason to believe the issue is with Intel. Sony certainly did not want to put out a product with wireless problems. They've been working on it since it came up. The computer itself has not been out for very long as it is. I understand frustration however miracles tend not to happen in the tech business and throwing out a patch to fix things takes time and testing. The other point of note is we are dealing with brand new technology in general, the 4th gen Intel processors and chipsets, and it comes with the downside of having issues near the beginning. You bought bleeding edge tech, that's all there is to it. Bleeding edge means you are on the frontier where the unexpected happens. Sony is working hard with Intel to fix the issue (I assume, why wouldn't they since it is affecting their new, top of the line computers) and we will see a result. If the time frame isn't fast enough for you then I would pick a more stable system, an Intel 3rd gen processor/chipset, and wait till the bugs are worked out on the 4th gen processors/chipset.

Bugs happen. Devs can't catch them all even with strenuous testing. This is one of them.

Cheers,
Keiran
#SuperUserbySony

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook