Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Hardware & Networking

USER-982105

New (upgrade) hard drive

I have a Sony VAIO model VPCCW27FX. The OEM HD is a Seagate Momentus 500GB at 5400 rpm. The computer is working well but I wish to upgrade the hard drive. Seagate has a Momentus XT model available which is a 7200 rpm drive with 4 GB of solid state memory and 32MB of cache. I have the VAIO Recovery Media Kit. My question is: Will the 4GBs of solid state be recognized (and therefore useful to me) by the Sony bios/Win7 once I restore the system from the Sony Recovery disks?
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
CharlieV

Re: New (upgrade) hard drive

Hello and welcome to the Users Discussion Forums.

We are sorry no able to answer your question directly because we do no have the Seagate Momentus XT to test. However, it shouldn't be any problem for the Seagate Momentus XT 500GB HDD to be installed and operated on the VAIO VPCCW27FX. The 4GB of SLC NAND Flash is not something that you can use for storage but rather than being utilized as part of Seagate's Adaptive Memory technology. Please let us know if you encountered with any further problem.
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
SUSHI

Re: New (upgrade) hard drive

I have a Sony VAIO model VPCCW27FX. The OEM HD is a Seagate Momentus 500GB at 5400 rpm. The computer is working well but I wish to upgrade the hard drive. Seagate has a Momentus XT model available which is a 7200 rpm drive with 4 GB of solid state memory and 32MB of cache. I have the VAIO Recovery Media Kit. My question is: Will the 4GBs of solid state be recognized (and therefore useful to me) by the Sony bios/Win7 once I restore the system from the Sony Recovery disks?

These 4GB is used internally. You can't use it.
You can use this HDD in your laptop.
I have a VPCCW21FX with this HHD with no problem!

However, if you use the Momentus XT 750GB with 8GB cache, you will need Win7 with SP1 setup to recognize the 4KB allocation unit.
Please use plain text.