Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Hardware & Networking

New Contributor
USER-938941
Accepted Solution

Replace Hard Drive - Can't Install Windows 7

My WD Scorpio Blue SATA 500GB hard drive in my Sony Vaio VPCEB15FM laptop crashed/failed/bsod while I was watching a blu-ray disc, so I replaced it with a similar one:

Original: WD5000BEVT
Replacement: WDBABC5000ANC-NRSN

Luckily, I created recovery disks after I purchased this laptop just under two years ago. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get Windows 7 loaded on the new drive.

Before Crash:
I was running Windows 7 with all updates under the normal setup with the C: being the main data folder.

During Crash:
I was watching a blu-ray movie and all of a sudden there was a blue screen with some text that went away after less than 2 seconds... then the computer restarted itself (with bluray disc in the drive, I'm not sure if the computer tried to boot from the disc or what! it all happened so fast!) So all of a sudden the hard drive is not being recognized in the BIOS and every startup ends with "Operating System Not Found" on a black screen.

After Crash:
I used the recovery discs (2 DVD discs that I burned) to format the new replacement drive. The drive is recognized and everything seemed to be working. After finishing, a message pops up saying "remove disk 2 from the drive and click ok to restart". So I followed those directions. Upon restart, the computer looks like it is about to start windows, then I see "setting up files" or something to that effect. Out of nowhere an error window pops up with

"Windows setup could not configure windows on this computer's hardware."

When I click OK to this message, the computer restarts, then goes to the same point and has a new message

"Windows could not complete the installation. To install windows on this computer restart the installation."

So I re-tried several times and come to the same issues. I did some research and I think it may be related to missing drivers (for the chipset, or maybe the SATA drive???). I got the drivers from the sony support site and extracted them with 7zip, but i'm not seeing the actual driver files for some reason (trying to load the drivers through a flash drive).

Could it be a setting in the BIOS about the hard drive? When I enter the setup, I don't see any advanced or configuration settings. This is after pressing f2 during startup, should I be pressing another key? I tried F8, F10, F12, Esc, Delete, etc with no success, although found some other diagnostics menus and the safe mode menu...

Also, the new hard drive is being recognized and I can see it created a new partition named C: ("System Reserved") along with the main "Local Disk D:" and a "Boot" drive at X:

Please help! I'm supposed to leave the country for a month in less than two weeks and need to get this fixed!
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
KimberlyS

Re: Replace Hard Drive - Can't Install Windows 7

Hello,
Welcome to the User Discussion Forums.
Please Contact Support Directly to troubleshoot your drive/ install issues.
http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/support-c ... =VPCEB15FM
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
USER-938941

Thanks for the quick response! I have contacted support directly but have not gotten an answer back yet. Do you have any insight into what my issue may be? Have you heard of these error messages before when installing windows 7 from recovery discs?
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
KimberlyS

Yes we have an idea on what your issue might be but would need to gather some personal information concerning your notebook before we can provide the proper answer.

Were you provided an Event ID number?
if you were please reply with the EID from the agent you spoke with on the phone and we will forward for callback from tech support.
Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
CajunMeggle

Have you gotten a response on this or resolved your issue? If not, I might be able to help you. I just experienced the exact same thing. Sony Support was NO help to me at all, but I was able to solve it on my own (thanks to lots of research and the help of a couple of awesome friends).
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
KimberlyS

We can arrange for someone to contact you directly, however it would require the Event ID number you received from Customer Service. If you do not know your Event ID, please contact support at the following number, http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/support-i ... nfo_id=932 and request it by providing some personal information over the phone. once you have your EID post it here and we will forward your case for review.
Please use plain text.
USER-986055

I'm having a same problem , my case I'm trying to replace my system with a larger hard drive 750gb and 7200rpm.
I replace original disk with new disk an install fresh new window7-64 ultimate , and get the same message "Windows setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer hardware".
I NEED HELP , have anyone found a solution for this
Thanks very much
Please use plain text.
USER-904320

DID ANYONE EVER FIGURE THIS OUT? CAN'T GET WINDOWS INSTALLED ON MY NEW WD DRIVE.
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
KimberlyS

Hello,
apologies you are upset. this is not an answer we can provide over the forums as it requires each person to provide the serial number of their computer to determine the parts installed.
we cannot allow personal information to be provided over the forums for your protection.

Please call in as stated above
Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
Allstartek

The solution is....

After a considerable amount of time and who knows how many attempts.. The solution i used was to put an older hard drive into the system. A newer hard drive has too many sectors... Go figure.. A smart drive is tool smart..

I used the older hard drive, completed the install and then cloned the old drive to my new smart drive 1tb western digital..

A pain, but it works.
Please use plain text.