Welcome to the Community!

VAIO - Hardware & Networking

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 3 (1,826 Views)

Replacement Drive for a Sony DVD Recorder, RDR-GX300

I recently called the Sony Parts Department to purchase a replacement drive for my Sony DVD Recorder, RDR-GX300, and it was brought to my attention that the replacement drive (DW-U15A) has been discontinued and no longer available for purchase by Sony.

However, I was able to find similar IDE optical drives online, but I'm not sure if the drives will be compatible with my DVD recorder. For example, I found a Sony AD-7200A, and it was brought to my attention that  a Sony DRU-510A would work if set as a master drive. In my efforts to resolve this issue, I've contact Sony representatives of the online chat, tech support, esupport.sony.com, and I've been unable to find anyone who could help me with this issue.

I spent a lot of money for my DVD Recorder, and would like to keep and continue to use my product.  Can anyone tell me if there are ANY IDE optical drives that are available for purchase , and that will be compatiable as a replacement drive for my Sony RDR-GX300??

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 2 of 3 (111 Views)

Re: Replacement Drive for a Sony DVD Recorder, RDR-GX300

The DR-U510A won't work as a direct replacement for the drive in the RDR-GX300.

The laser assembly is however interchangeable with the one in the DW-U15A.

I have successfully swapped the lasers over in two RDR-GX300 units and both are working again.

DRU-510A drives are becoming scarce now too though!
Message 3 of 3 (20 Views)

Re: Replacement Drive for a Sony DVD Recorder, RDR-GX300

Hi, Andyb1712

Thank you for visiting Sony Community! 

For further assistance, we kindly recommend visiting our Sony Global Website for information on contacting the Sony Support Center in your region at http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/Support/.

Regards,

Vincent 

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook