Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Hardware & Networking

Groovin'
JAHflip15

Sony VAIO Flip 15 Model SVF15N190X problems with touch screen

I received my custom build Sony 15 inch Flip on Friday after a 6 week wait and I am about ready to return.  I love everything about this computer but the problems with the touch screen have taken away all joy of using this computer.  Upon receipt I installed all upgrades and notices a problem with the touch screen when I flipped the screen to use it like a tablet.  the on screen keyboard would not work and the touch screen would not respond.  I had to restart the computer.  I upgraded to Windows 8.1 since the Sony website it was available for this computer.  I had hoped that 8.1 would resolve the problem but if anything it has gotten worse.  The touch screen will work great for a while then stops and forces me to use the keyboard.  It is unreliable when flipped as a tablet.  I spent over an hour on the phone today with Sony support and they updated some drivers and the tech was experiencing the same problems as I was experiencing.  He tried to sell me an extended warranty after we thought we had resolved the issue but less than an hour later the problem had returned.

I am going to give Sony until the end of the week to resolve this issue or I am going to return it and consider other options including other computer manufacturers.  I have been Sony loyal for years but I am quickly losing my patience.  I have tried the suggestions posted in the forum so if anyone comes up with something new please let me know.  I really don't want to return this computer but I paid to much for it not to work properly.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
TimSu

Re: Sony VAIO Flip 15 Model SVF15N190X problems with touch screen

Hey there JAHflip15!

Can you try re-installing the firmware, Notebook Control and Utilities update posted here.

~Tim

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
JAHflip15

Yes, the Sony tech that took over my computer installed all of these twice but the problem persists.  I check everyday for more updates but nothing has resolved the problem.  I don't want to return this computer but I also want the functionality that I paid for.  I also want Sony to tell me what they are  going to do to resolve this issue that from all the forums is being experienced by many users of the Flip.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
jptiger

This isn't much of a solution but it's a better band-aid than having to restart. I also have a touchscreen that will randomly stop working at times. When this happens I can fix it by doing the following:

1)Open VaioCare (I use the assist button on the keyboard)

2)Click Solution Center

3)Click Troubleshooting (bottom right of the window that opens)

4)Click System

5)Click "Find and fix problems with devices and hardware"

The system will scan for a second, then the window will lose focus, and the touchscreen will work again. I have to do this fairly frequently though, and I certainly hope Sony will release a software update to fix this problem. It certainly seems to affect a lot of new machines.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
tpitcher

Hello,

I am a new Sony Vaio Flip owner (14A Model), and I am also experiencing the same touch screen issues whenever I flip it to tablet mode or display mode that relies on touch screen input to navigate.  The first thing I did after unboxing the device was run all the updates for both Windows and Sony Vaio's update utility.  I also ran the screen calibration tool fix for my model from Sony's website.

So while yes I can either do a reboot, or simply flip it all the way back around and close the lid and re-open it again, that seems to sort of defeat the otherwise nice functionality of being able to use this as a true touch device.  Aside from that there is an issue where I am using my touchpad and a random swipe will switch me from Desktop to whatever App I had open in the Metro UI.

I would very much like to keep this device, but if no resolution is found I may be taking this back and going with the Lenovo Yoga 13 instead.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
tpitcher

Also, out of curiosity, is this an issue unique to the devices. Has someone had the issue and then exchanged it for another one and did not have it anymore?
Please use plain text.
Groovin'
tpitcher

So I decided to take my 14A Flip back to BestBuy and get a new one. I followed the update instructions to the letter this time around going to 8.1. However, after all that work just 2 minutes in the touch screen became unresponsive again. Sigh...
Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
suzee-parker

Same Problem.  Ny "quick fix" is to re-log in.  I'm using the Sony Stylus pen which seems to cause the touch screen to fail more frequently, but I can't detect any one cause.

How can we at least get Sony to confirm they are working on the problem.  If there is no hope, then yes it'd time to return it to Best Buy.  

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
tpitcher

[ Edited ]

I actually think I may have it figured out courtesy of another poster somewhere...I honestly forget where.

Anyway, for the touch screen issue:

1.  Hit the Windows key + X and choose Device Manager.

2.  In Device Manager there 2 USB Input Devices.  Go into the Power Management tab of each and uncheck the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

That seems to have worked for me.  I actually figured it out after exchanging my first Sony Vaio Flip 14A for another, and now I am using the Sony Vaio Flip 13A (that has the SSD) which was Open Box at BestBuy and their Geek Squad said it was returned for a touch screen issue too.

I did the same "fix" for it and have not had a single issue since.

Please use plain text.