Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rookie
Message 1 of 8 (35,739 Views)
Accepted Solution

Sony Vaio 15E Touchpad Sensitivity Issues

Hi,

I just got a new Sony Vaio Fit 15E and I'm having trouble with my touchpad. The left click (soft tap) doesn't seem to work most of the time on the right third of the touchpad, mostly the upper right. Why is this, and how c an I fix it? Is it a driver issue?

Message 2 of 8 (35,712 Views)

Re: Sony Vaio 15E Touchpad Sensitivity Issues

[ Edited ]

Hi delimon,

Sorry to hear about that.  Please follow these steps to adjust the setting to your needs.  First open Control Panel (Windows + X or Windows + I) and double click on MOUSE.(if you do not see MOUSE, click on Viewed By (top right) and select Large Icons.  Once Mouse Properties opens up, click on DEVICE SETTING and then SETTING.  That should open up Properties for the Synaptics ClickPad.  Then click(may need to double click) on the setting you want to change and click on the cog wheel to change.  Hope this helps out.

Nick--

mouse properties.png

Properties for Synaptics ClickPad V1.2.pngProperties for Synaptics ClickPad V1.2.png

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 8 (34,359 Views)

[ Edited ]

I realize this post is months old, but I have this exact same problem with my brand new SVF15N2ACXB.  I have two issues with the proposed solution.  One, it's not a sensitivity issue...the issue is some clicks are simply not detected no matter what the sensitivity is.  Two, The highlighted section in the settings window has no relevant settings to change.  It's as if there's a "tap zone" on the top half of the pad enabled (they're disabled in my case) and tries to execute a null action or something.  I don't know how else to explain it.  There's a dead zone...sometimes. 

If I notice it not working in a particular spot, I can always click a different part of the pad and get a successful click at the expected sensitivity, or I can use the mouse button part of the pad.  Highly annoying.  I'm very satisfied with my purchase so far other than this issue. 

EDIT:  I just did some more testing and it seems the dead spots are all in the corners of the pad.  If I only click in the center, it works, but clicking near the 4 corners of the pad produces no clicks.  My "Tap Zones" are not enabled, but it's behaving as if these zones are dead zones.

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 8 (34,351 Views)

Update: Did some more playing around. Uninstalling the drivers via the device manager returns the touchpad to normal working order. Problem is, this also removes all gestures, including using two fingers to scroll windows.

So, at least we know this is a software issue.

I tried downloading new drivers from the sony support site. When I installed them, they installed a second copy alongside the first (under the Device settings section of the mouse properties control panel). This had no effect on the dead zones issue.

I then uninstalled all touchpad drivers and tried reinstalling them after a restart. Running the .exe I downloaded from the sony site did nothing. Installing drivers directly through the device manager worked, but it reinstalled the original V1.0 drivers that weren't working in the first place.

I'm going to try and find the actual files for the updated drivers so I can manually select them via the device manager and see if that does anything.
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 5 of 8 (34,340 Views)

Update again:

Through the process of trying to uninstall drivers, the Synaptics portion of the mouse control panel asked me to delete the drivers.  I did this because as far as I could tell the drivers from the sony support site were much newer and I just needed to get them installed.  So, I deleted the original drivers and the driver package I installed from the sony website isn't installing any drivers, and it's not unpacking driver files anywhere I can find.  I have no idea what that .exe does.

Long story short, I now have no synaptics drivers and I don't seem to have access to any that work.  My touchpad works perfectly except there are no gestures and no utility to configure them.  I could revert to the original drive image, but I'd rather have a gestureless touchpad than one with dead zones. 

Help!

Enthusiast
Message 6 of 8 (34,299 Views)

Anyone?  Do I have to make my own thread?  Call in? 

Enthusiast
Message 7 of 8 (34,222 Views)

[ Edited ]

So, I asked here and got a solution.  I don't understand why this "feature" would be turned on by default.  It's been a while since I've owned a new laptop, but ****** that was confusing.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sony-owners-lounge-forum/734539-official-sony-vaio-fit-multi-flip-pc...

The solution is to go to the "smart sense" part of the control panel and turn off "restrict tapping zones"

I called support before I asked in the notebookreview forum.  They had no idea what I was talking about.  Time to update the tech support 3-ring binders -_-

Rookie
Message 8 of 8 (33,715 Views)

Hi! I just registered to thank you for not giving up on this issue and posting your updates to this thread. I was having this exact same problem and you saved me a lot of headache. I agree - I find it puzzling that this feature is turned on by default. It gives an impression of malfunctioning hardware.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook