Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Hardware & Networking

Groovin'
Static
Accepted Solution

Sony Vaio Laptop USB ports not working (VPCF115FG)

Good day people

So I'm new to the community and the reason i joined is because i need help with my Sony Laptop.

I received the laptop from my boss when he bought a macbook pro, but there was problems with the sony laptop.

When i received the laptop i had to install windows 7 and everything worked even the usb drives, then i got windows 8 installed and my usb drives stopped working. I have checked all the drivers and i have done almost everything possible to get the usb ports working but with no luck.

I installed windows 7 again and the usb ports still dont work but the drivers are 100%.

I just cant think of anything else to do except replace the usb ports on the pc board seeing as it could only be the hardware then

Any help would be great before i start poking at the pc board with a soldering Iron

Kind Regards

Marcel

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
jan2011

Re: Sony Vaio Laptop USB ports not working (VPCF115FG)

[ Edited ]

Hi there.
Sometimes USB port issues are due to “electrostatic” current!
If it isn’t an OS, hardware and/or driver problem, try even this:

--Turn off PC.

--Remove all external devices (USB mouse, memory sticks, printers, etc.).
--Disconnect the AC power adapter from PC.

--Remove the battery.
--Press and hold pressed the PC’s Power Switch for about 20 seconds, twice.

--Connect all devices, battery and AC power.
Turn on PC and try again!

Jannis

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
Static

Thanks Jannis for the reply, ill try that tonight when i get home from work, I was also told i can use a Ubuntu Live CD and test the usb ports when im running on the Ubuntu OS.

But first ill try what you said, its just weird that they stopped working for no reason at all.

Regards

Marcel

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
Static

Okay so i got the usb ports to start working but now they work for two min then they just turn off. I then have to plug out the usb and plug it back in a few times before its starts working again. I have no idea whats wrong with them now

Please use plain text.
MarkCr

Hi Static,

Try turning off power management for ALL the USB Root Hubs in your Device Manager:
In Device Manager>USB root hub properties>Power management> untick the box that says "allow computer to turn off this device to save power"

Windows has a habit of switching off USB ports to save power, whether or not anything is connected to them! This makes it seem like the keyboard/mouse or system has frozen up. Hope this helps.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
jan2011

Hi “Static”
As you see, it seems not to be a software or hardware issue. USB ports seems functioning.
Now, this issue occurs when you connect the same, some or any USB device?
Have you try to use your PC only with Battery? (Disconnect the AC power adapter from PC and then, turn on PC)

Jannis

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
Static

It's been a long time since i last posted a message on the topic because i was very busy with studies.

The laptop still has the problem even after all the info you guys gave me, i almost dont even use the laptop seeing as i just get angry when it drops my usb device while im working from it.

If anyone else has an idea what i can do to fix it, ill be very happy

Thanks

Regards

Please use plain text.
MarkPa

Hi Static,

Just to verify, is it dropping the same usb device? Have you tried other USB device? Is it dropping also?

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
Static

@MarkPa, it drops any usb device, the esata port works 100% but the two usb ports on the right side works maybe 2min then they drop any device attached
Please use plain text.
MarkPa

Hi Static,

Have you done a clean install of Windows 7? Have you deleted the recovery partition? We may need to reset the unit back to its factory defaults to isolate the issue.

Please use plain text.