Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Hardware & Networking

Tuning Up
msdburns
Accepted Solution

Sony Vaio Laptop Won't Turn On

I have a Sony Vaio laptop that turns off every time I turn it on. I have taken it in for repairs and they can't that nothing is wrong with it and they can turn it on. They even run diagnostics and have opened it up and can't find a problem. I did update the computer from Windows 7 to 8 but the problem was happening even before I updated it. At first, it would turn off then I would be able to immediately turn it back on, then it would turn off and I would have to wait a few minutes and it could turn it back on. Now, it won't be anything. I know it does work because it was on when I got it back from the repair shop. Any  help would be greatly appreciated. I am getting very frustrated!

Please use plain text.
AmandaJ

Re: Sony Vaio Laptop Won't Turn On

Hello msdburns - What is the model number of your VAIO? -Amanda Jeter 

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
msdburns

VPCEA36FM

Please use plain text.
AmandaJ

1. Check if the DC jack is loose or damaged within the computer.
  2. Remove media from the CD/DVD drive.
  3. Disconnect all external devices that are connected to the computer.
  4. Connect the AC adapter into a known working AC outlet and to the DC jack on the notebook, and then attempt to turn on the computer normally.

NOTES:

• Verify the correct Sony AC adapter is being used, and not a third-party replacement AC adapter. 
    • Connect the AC adapter directly to a wall outlet and not to a surge protector or extension cord.
    • Some AC adapters have a POWER LED indicator and can be confirmed as receiving power by ensuring the LED is lit. If the AC adapter is damaged, or the LED is not lit or continuously flickers when plugged into a working AC outlet, the adapter must be replaced. 
  5. Disconnect the AC power adapter, remove the battery, and then press and hold the Power Switch for 5 seconds. Once that has been done, connect the AC power adapter again, and then attempt to turn on the computer normally without the battery installed.

NOTE: If the computer turns on without the battery, the battery is either completely drained or defective. Put the battery back in, reconnect the AC adapter and charge the battery for 24 hours. If the issue still occurs, that battery is the problem and will need to be replaced.

6. Remove any additional Random Access Memory (RAM) that may have been added to the computer.

NOTE: If removing the added RAM memory resolves the issue, check the computer specifications to ensure the memory modules meet the minimum requirements. If they do, the modules themselves may be defective.

7. Attempt to turn the computer on.

***We also have a YouTube video that walks you through these steps: http://goo.gl/Kl8lD

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Please use plain text.