Rookie
Message 51 of 65 (1,255 Views)

Re: Sony Vaio Laptop Won't Turn On

Thanks JenF, it ended up working!

Message 52 of 65 (1,219 Views)

Hi Jwchef013,

Welcome to Sony Community!

That's sad to know that the laptop still won't turn on even after trying the suggested fix below. Did you try to plug it in without the battery? did it work? If not then you need to bring it to a service center to have it repaired. 

You may also visit this link below for further troubleshooting if your want, 

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35540/p/48903,49902,71454,71478/c/65,66/kw/no%20po...

Just in case the issue still persists then repair is really needed.

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/service.pl?XID=M:footer:esupport

Regards,
Jen

Answered your question? Glad I could help! Please Click the "Accept as Solution" button below.

Enthusiast
Message 53 of 65 (1,144 Views)

While it appears that this not powering up properly issue is FAR too common to be a bad battery pack or cable I do concede that I dont believe every VAIO non starter is doing so for tyhe same reason. 

I feel that there is an issue with the Power On Cycle Sequence and somewhere along that chain one or more components are causing a short which halts the process and doesnt complete the power on to the POST stage which also mean booting to safe mode... resetting bios... etc is completely irrelevant because IT'S NOT EVEN REACHING THE POST/HDD ACTIVATION STAGE. 

So.. if you've got any Sony VAIO model (mine is VPCEE42FX) I suggest you try something.. it's quick and as long as you have something to plug into the USB slot that will push any current into it (something that can be turned on itself so it would send a current thru the cable into the USB slot) then it's also FREE. No absurd cost of sending to repair shop so they can replace the entire board because nobody is dedicated to truly trying to sleuth the problems here. 

This surely will not be the fix for every Vaio that wont turn on.. but from the AGES I've spent reading and tinkering and seeing the same garbage advice offered up, I can tell you that the folks who had my same experience and symptoms, my resolution will help more than it will not. Save yourself some money and hopefully get your laptop back. 

Quick version (but I reccommend reading my long winded post which may shed light on the similarity that you may be having or not) 

Here's what should be an easy enough procedure for almost anyone nowadays. 

Below is assuming Laptop is plugged into a power source and is powered off. 

• Get a cell phone and a charging cable that has a USB end.
  • Plug the phone into the cable
  • Plug the USB end of the cable into any of the USB ports on your VAIO
  • While the power on your phone is ON (you have your phone not just plugged in but ON) Press the Power Button on your VAIO. 
  • If youre worried about any special timing of buttons .. DONT. I've replicated this many many times to confirm it's legit. I've had success with the phone already being ON when I plugged it in and turned on the laptop and also when I waitd and powered on the phone right as I pressed the laptop power button (I was trying to test to see if it was the current to the USB slot from the phone or just the USB slot having a device in it - I only got desired result when the phone was ON either before I power up VAIO or right as I power up VAIO so I'm assuming it's the current being sent throuigh the powered on device that is correcting a short in the power up sequence or maybe waking up a faulty sleeping USB controller.. not sure). 

Let me know if it helps anyone at all. 

Here's my original and more detailed post. 

https://community.sony.com/t5/VAIO-Hardware-Networking/My-Sony-Vaio-VPCS111FM-does-not-always-start-...

Rookie
Message 54 of 65 (899 Views)

Hi Draganic,

The motherboard of my SVD failed too, where did you replaced the motherboard?

Greetings
Message 55 of 65 (865 Views)

Hi Willy1712

Please contact Sony Authorized Parts Distributors here: https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-accessories.pl. Do not forget to give the exact model name and/or service tag. Visit here on how to get these details: https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38141/

Regards,

Vincent 

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

ady Rookie
Rookie
Message 56 of 65 (844 Views)

Hi,

I have two VPCEG37FM vaio laptops. One of them does not turn on. I've tried replacing the hard-disk, ram and battery. Doesn;t help. Can you please suggest a workaround?

Thanks !

Message 57 of 65 (813 Views)

Hi Ady,

Welcome  to Sony Community!

We're sad to hear that the issue still persist even after replacing some parts. Was there any change that happened prior to the issue? Have you tried to perform some troubleshooting steps before deciding to replace the parts? 

You may refer to this link for additional troubleshooting steps, https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35540/p/48903,49902,71396,71419/c/65,66/kw/no%20po...

If you already tried the steps in the link above then repair may be needed. 

Regards,
Jen

Answered your question? Glad I could help! Please Click the "Accept as Solution" button below

Rookie
Message 58 of 65 (394 Views)

hi, im also having a problem with my computer. while i was online, it just powered off. Now I can't turn it on for anything. i followed every step that i found on this page and still nothing. the computer had shown no sign of failure, it wasn't broken but it is kind of old. PLEASE help I have very important files for work stored.
Message 59 of 65 (366 Views)

Hi Peachy,

We regret to hear that your attempts to fix the laptop failed. You should have included the model name of your laptop and the current operating system. 

Have you already did the power reset? Have you tried to turn it on with the battery? With the battery and charger? How about without the battery (just the charger)? You may also check out this link for additional help, https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35540/c/65,66/kw/no%20power

Regards,

Jen

Answered your question? Glad I could help! Please Click the "Accept as Solution" button below.

Enthusiast
Message 60 of 65 (133 Views)

I have a sony vaio SVT151A11L that i bought back in 2012
I have recently this month encountered problems where it would completely freeze whenever i was gaming.
Now it has finally stopped working to where the power button would turn on and at times stay on but my laptop wont fully turn on.
I have tried everything i can and still nothing. Idk if its the hard drive or something else. Could also be the charger, LED light in the middle only lights up for a bit. The other two LED lights dont light up. And as mentioned the power button does turn on but thats it. So there is no way i can use my laptop ir do anything.

I will say it no longer has a batter so i have to have it plugged in whenever i use it. I have opened it n cleaned out the fan solving the overheating issue ages ago. Been debating if my laptop is fixable or i should just get a new one.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook