VAIO - Hardware & Networking

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rookie
Message 1 of 4 (277 Views)

Sony Vaio PCG-7184L: screen either freezes or whole system restarts randomly

Hi,

I've had my Sony Vaio laptop for around 10 years now. Works fine, still love it. However, as of late, I found that the screen keeps freezing randomly from time to time. Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't work, so I am forced to turn off the computer manually. I've looked through the Sony support topics with regards to freezing screens (reset BIOS, updated my computer) but the same problem still persists.

The same problem occurs even when I run safe mode, with the added issue of my laptop suddenly restarting itself.

I've also noticed that whenever this happens (screen freezing), the amber light beside the green and red ones stops flashing. I don't know if this'll help.....

Message 2 of 4 (227 Views)

Re: Sony Vaio PCG-7184L: screen either freezes or whole system restarts randomly

Hi Vboy135,

Welcome to Sony Community!

We're sorry to hear that the attempt to fix it didn't fix the issue, We appreciate you for sharing the steps that you've already done. The PCG-7184L is the chassis of the unit. Please verify the model number and the current operating system of your laptop. It should start with VPC or VGN.

For additional troubleshooting, please refer to the link below,

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/39757

Regards,

Jen

Answered your question? Glad I could help! Please Click the "Accept as Solution" button below.

Rookie
Message 3 of 4 (212 Views)

Re: Sony Vaio PCG-7184L: screen either freezes or whole system restarts randomly

Hi,

The model is VGN-NW235D? And running on Windows 7.

I really hope this isn't a personal issue, as I'm getting a new computer soon, but leave my current Sony Vaio for my parents to use. 

Apprentice
Message 4 of 4 (175 Views)

[ Edited ]

_You have this portal page for your model bookmarked and reviewed majority;

https://esupport.sony.com/CA/p/model-home.pl?mdl=VGNNW235D&LOC=3#/howtoTab

_Full scan by  A-V and malware software ?

_ apply a soft brush to the nozzle end of your vacuum and run slowly over the intake/outakes and ports of your laptop ?

they talk of blowing air from a canister but unless you open the case completely to blow it away, i see air blowing contaminants further into the case and onto components.

nite,

D'

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook