Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Hardware & Networking

Top 40 Artist
Miles_Wolf

Re: The Sony Vaio Flip and its noisy fan

This mmorning I was working with the Vaio Flip and my mother asked if that sound was my PC, because she first thought it was the hair dryer being used by my sister on the bathroom. 

I promise is a true story. 

And yet, no answer from Sony.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
El_Jinete

[ Edited ]

I have preordered a custom build of the i7 version. With warranty and taxes it cost me over 2000 USD. I'm very much looking forward to getting this device in about 2 and a half weeks but if the fan noise in unbearable it will be going back. I'm hoping it will be okay but from what I'm reading I'm not optimistic. I hope this issue is addressed appropriately.

I was comparing this to the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro. When I called Lenovo they offered a good discount on the price. I called Sony to see about a discount and they refused. I mentioned Lenovo and the sales agent assured me that while their product was more expensive it is because Sony doesn't use anything but the best parts in their machines and offer much better quality then their competitors. I don't know if that is true or not, but if it is I would think they would be concerned about this fan issue and address it. It sounds like they have a home run with this device if they do. If they don't it will be just one more almost perfect device that failed.

Please use plain text.
Garage Band
rveenr

[ Edited ]

I'm considering buying the flip except one thing is holding me back, the FAN NOISE!  Its so loud, I've seen it on many videos and in the store, it's just too loud to be practical.  The worst part is it seems like the fan follows CPU usage and not CPU temperature when deciding what speed the fan should be.

That makes no sense, and should be a simple firmware fix. Sony please acknowledge this issue and provide a fix, this laptop is perfect otherwise.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
vlkodlak

Dear Sony,

I got my VAIO Flip 13A last week. It is really great laptop and I love all the features. There is only one thing I really hate - THE FAN NOISE. It is so bad that I am considering to return it. Please fix this issue asap, there must be a way to slow down the fan by SW update.

BR

R.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
ntzeke

Ahhhhhh - I thought I had found the perfect hybrid.  I like to do video shooting and editing on my laptop and I do it at various places - so the mobility of this machine seemed perfect.  

I can't get this if the fan noise is as reported though.  It would kill my videos - I'm sure the mic would pic up the noise.  

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
twospirits

Now that you mention it, you are right, that would be a problem when creating videos. 

Come on Sony, get on the ball here. At the very least make an announcement saying that you are trying to come up with a solution.

TS

My List of Flip 13a accessories http://tinyurl.com/MyFlip13aAccessoriesList
My Flip 13A Tear down http://tinyurl.com/MyFlip13aTearDown
My Flip 13A Amazon Review http://tinyurl.com/Flip13aAmazonReview
Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
smbadvantage

On a couple of the video reviews that are available online you can hear the fan noise if the recording was taken near the Flip.  I imagine that videos taken from the Flip itself would only be worse.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
vlkodlak

Even the Skype is affected by this. The second party clearly hears the FAN NOISE!

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
Tapper

Sony,

Please fix the fan issue. It's VERY important, and shouldn't be hard since reports show the Flip runs cool.

I want to buy a Flip, but mainly for classroom use, so I can't have a loud constant fan annoying everyone else.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
pt6n2

Dear Sony,

Just take a moment to ask yourself - is it wise to let this issue go unaddressed? If the fan noise is unbearable, I for one will be returning the device if I beleive there is no solution. Speak up! Before it's too late!!

Will there be a fix for the EXCESSIVE fan noise reported by most? What is your view on the situation?

Don't get me wrong - I'm super excited about receiving mine, but this issue is casting a dark and ominous shadow.

Thanks for your continued support. 

Regards

Please use plain text.