Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Hardware & Networking

Anonymous(anon)

Unable to connect Wi Fi on VAIO VPCF115FM

I have a Sony VAIO VPCF115FM/S which is having wireless problems. So far it has failed to see or connect to the two wireless networks in either of the locations I use (both residential) . They are both based on Netgear router / access points running 802.11n
I have an HP laptop which is connectiing to these wireless networks without issue; using either a pre-shared key or Wi-Fi protected setup. One point to note is that for one of the networks, the name does not even appear in the list of available networks, though the SSID is broadcast. In this case I select the "Other" entry at the bottom of the available networks list. I am then prompted for a SSID, which I enter, then am asked for a security key. I enter the pre-shared key and after several seconds receive a message saying Windows is unable to connect to the network.
The laptop is using a Atheros AR9287 wireless network adapter running on driver version 8.0.0.238, dated 10/05/2009. When the option is selected to update the driver, a message is received at the end of the process reporting Windows is using the most current driver version.
Does anyone have any ideas about how to solve this problem? Suffice to say, a laptop without the ability to connect to wireless networks at the places I frequent is not very useful.
Please use plain text.
Anonymous(anon)

No Subject

KSelfrig - the Atheors AR9287 supports 2.4 GHZ and b/g/n band. To troubleshoot your wireless connection isse please perform the following steps; 1) verify the router frequency is set to 2.4 GHZ and not 5 GHZ. 2) verify the router is either set to a B/G/N signal. 3) lastly what we can also attempt is to remove the wireless password and then attempt to reconnect. If that works then please try to use a WPA encyption and then reattempt to connect. Regards, Peter Tat. Sony Software Engineer.
Please use plain text.
Anonymous(anon)

No Subject

KSelfrieg - I'm really happy to hear that your wireless issue appears to be resolve. Let me know if your have any other wireless issue. Regards, Peter Tat. Sony Software Engineer.
Please use plain text.
Anonymous(anon)

No Subject

Hello,
I have a new VAIO VPCF115FM. I formatted the hard drive and installed the other version of windows 7 in another language. I installed all the drivers but wifi fails to work. It is turned on but it seems like the driver is not working. Also two more drivers failed to install correctly. I would be glad if someone could halp to solve this issue. Thank you !
Please use plain text.
Anonymous(anon)

No Subject

I have SONY VPCF111FX/B, my Wifi Adapter (Atheros AR9287) can not detect 802.11n. Many friends have VAIO F Series have the same problem with me.I don't know "what the problem", but i can talk that the Atheros AR9287 support 802.11 b/g/n.
Please use plain text.
Anonymous(anon)

No Subject

teravn - Indeed the VPCF111FX will support N signal. The root cause of your issue might be due to the router confguration. Can you see your access point (SSID)? Is the router set to broadcast the SSID or no? Is the router frequency band set to 2.4 GHZ? Your wireless card only supports 2.4 GHZ and not 5.0GHZ. Are we using a WPA encryption? You might want to reconfigure your router. Regards, Peter Tat. Sony Software Engineer.
Please use plain text.
Anonymous(anon)

No Subject

I have a new Vaio Z Series with Windows 7 Professional OS and cannot get m wireless connection to work. i can hard wire fine to the internet and i can ping my router and it sends and receives just fine but still no internet access. i've rebooted the router and the laptop recognizes the home network and says connected but it won't connect to the internet. appreciate any thoughts?
Please use plain text.
Anonymous(anon)

No Subject

I have my wireless connection as long as I restart my computer every time I need to use it. My connection works until I leave my computer for more than 5 or 10 minutes. At that point, when I try to re-connect, windows says it cannot find any wireless connections. So I restart my computer, and it automatically finds the connection without a problem. I'm getting tired of restarting my computer every time I need to connecct to the internet. I did not have this problem until I switched from DSL to cable a couple of weeks ago. Cox says I may need an "N" router instead of the "G"...but I wonder if the solution is simpler...maybe something to do with the settings on my computer? Any solutions?
Please use plain text.
PeterT

Re:

forumuser,

What is the model number of your VAIO PC?

I have my wireless connection as long as I restart my computer every time I need to use it. My connection works until I leave my computer for more than 5 or 10 minutes. At that point, when I try to re-connect, windows says it cannot find any wireless connections. So I restart my computer, and it automatically finds the connection without a problem. I'm getting tired of restarting my computer every time I need to connecct to the internet. I did not have this problem until I switched from DSL to cable a couple of weeks ago. Cox says I may need an "N" router instead of the "G"...but I wonder if the solution is simpler...maybe something to do with the settings on my computer? Any solutions?

Sony Community Manager
Sr. Software Engineer
Peter Tat
Please use plain text.
PeterT

Re:

forumuser,

Please try the following so we can help root cause the issue.

1) Launch VAIO Care from the start menu
2) Click on troubleshooting
3) Click on network and wireless
4) Click on Windows Network Diagnostic
5) Follow the on screen prompt

This will help us determine the root cause and address the issue as well regarding your wireless internet connection issue.

I have a new Vaio Z Series with Windows 7 Professional OS and cannot get m wireless connection to work. i can hard wire fine to the internet and i can ping my router and it sends and receives just fine but still no internet access. i've rebooted the router and the laptop recognizes the home network and says connected but it won't connect to the internet. appreciate any thoughts?

Sony Community Manager
Sr. Software Engineer
Peter Tat
Please use plain text.