Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Hardware & Networking

Tuning Up
heywood_

Unable to turn on atheros wireless network adapter. Message reads turn on the switch - isn't one .

Trying to enable the Atheros AR928x wireless network adapter that came in this Viao computer but windows diagnostics came back with a message : turn on switch on back of computer or use function key to enable. Don't think I have that switch and the function keys did nothing. Any ideas how to get this network adapter working ?

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
Miguael

Re: Unable to turn on atheros wireless network adapter. Message reads turn on the switch - isn't one

[ Edited ]

Hello T Hull.

Please get back with the exact model # of your computer to have the detailed troubleshooting steps regarding your concern. Locate the model # here: http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/support-info.pl?info_id=264

However, you can check for the below mentioned settings in your computer:

If there is physical wireless switch on your computer, check if it is turned ON.

Check if the wireless option is turned ON from the VAIO Smart Network Software.

If the Windows 8 Operating System installed in your computer, turn ON the wireless option from the PC Settings.

Note: If my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution."

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
heywood_

Re: Unable to turn on atheros wireless network adapter. Message reads turn on the switch - isn't one

Thanks for the reply Miguael. The model # of this computer says PCV-A1111L on one tag but VPCL114FX on another so it must be one of those. Running windows 7. Couldn't find any Vaio smart network software and there is no physical wifi button on this machine. I ran windows network diagnostics and it came back that 'wireless capability is turned off ' but I've no idea how to turn it on. Any more ideas ?

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
Miguael

[ Edited ]

Hello T Hull.

VPCL114FX model computer is installed with the SmartWi Connection Utility from where you can turn on the wireless adapter. Follow all the steps mentioned here: https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31673/c/65%2C66/kw/31673

Note: If my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution."

Please use plain text.