VAIO - Hardware & Networking

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 61 of 90 (3,006 Views)

Re: VAIO Tap 11 Keyboard Stopped Responding

Hi there, 

I have the Vaio tap 11 model (SVT112A2WW). The keyboard worked well under win8, however, since it had updated to win8.1, I have been experiencing the following strange problem with the keyboard:

For instance, I am in Chrome browser, certain keys on the keyboard tend to become unresponsive ('V' "C" and "H' keys!) The only way to deactivate these three keys would be to open another application (say notepad or winword etc) and click these three keys. This problem is quite persistent and happens literally every time I use the computer. I have done a bit of research around this topic and tried to update my bios and keyboard drivers from the sony website but still have not been able to resolve it. I have also tried to re-pair the keyboard with the tablet but again the same problem!!!

I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced similar issues with their tap 11 keyboard and if anyone would know to resolve this problem.

Sam

Enthusiast
Message 62 of 90 (3,005 Views)

It seems to do any VAIO updates via Sony CARE may help.

I had Keyboard issues a lot, but after BIOS update, and other general updates, it seem to have gone away.

Did you try the ASSIST BUTTON (Top Right corner)?

It's a good experience to try this real-time assistance.

Take care, HWM

Enthusiast
Message 63 of 90 (2,988 Views)

Hi HWM, 

Thanks for that, 

I have purchased my tap 11 from Hong Kong, I just checked the HK Sony website and found a new update for the keyboard receiver firmware, I really hope this solves the problem. 

The Assist button did not find anything but need to creat a recovery diasks which I am not too fussed about at this stage. 

All seems to work well but it's only this little nuisance with the three keys (C, V and H)u!!

Cheers,

Sam

Message 64 of 90 (2,889 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi vpalmer

Thank you for visiting Sony Community! 

HWayne was right. You may also try these steps: 

• Power cycle - remove the battery and all peripherals -> press and hold the power button for 5 seconds. Or (if the battery is not removable) remove all peripherals -> look for a battery off button on the bottom of the laptop -> press and hold for 5 seconds (you may use safety pin for that).
  • Reset BIOS - Turn off laptop and press Assist Button -> select Start BIOS Setup OR while the laptop is restarting, keep hitting F2 key -> Once in BIOS screen, go to Exit tab -> select Get Default Values -> press Enter and Save changes -> Restart the computer. 
  • Run Windows update

For further assistance regarding your concern, please contact the Sony offices/Sony representative offices nearest to your place of residence in Asia Pacific region http://www.sony-asia.com/countryselector.html?hpid=countryselector:AsiaPacific. Due to proximity, they are in a better position to respond to your questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Vincent 

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Enthusiast
Message 65 of 90 (2,845 Views)

Hi Vincent, 

Thnak you for your reply. 

I have follwed the steps from HWayne but the problem has recurred after few days!

I have no idea why the three kays (C,V and H) seem to become irresponsive. However, if I open another application and touch one of three keys then ithe keys would become functional. 

I will folllow your steps and see if this could resolve the matter. 

Cheers,

vpalmer

Enthusiast
Message 66 of 90 (2,347 Views)

This solution work for me on SVT11215SG (pre installed win 8 upgrade to win 8.1). Thank you very much

Apprentice
Message 67 of 90 (2,158 Views)

[ Edited ]

The solution worked for me, thanks.
My laptop is SVT11215CW/B and bought in Taiwan. The same problem happened to me - keyboard was able to pair with lap, however, it freezed and the Keyboard Receiver could not be switch off. This problem occurred not because Windows 8.1 nor Windows X. I recommend that anyone who upgraded BIOS to R1140V8, upgrading Keyboard Reciever Firmware to 1.81 and resert BIOS and BIOS Options to default immediately

Here is instruction:
1.Upgrade BIOS to R1140V8.
2.Upgrade Keyboard Receiver firmware to 1.81.
3.Shut down the laptop and waiting for 90 secs.
4.Press ASSISTANCE BUTTON to boot into rescure mode, choice BIOS option.
5.Under Security Page , choice Restore Factory Defaults [Yes]. Under Exit Page, choice Get Default Values [Yes] and Save Changes.
6.Reboot and make sure Kryboard Receiver is ON, pair the keyboard, done
Hope it helps.

All the best
Cybermark

Enthusiast
Message 68 of 90 (2,143 Views)

Cybermark, Thank-you for taking the time to document your solution.  It is a kind gesture during this Holiday season.  I had this issue way back in time, and am OK currently. BUT still knowing your guidance is NOTEed, and appreciated.  Happy New Year and best wishes going into 2016!  Thanks again, Hwayne.

Enthusiast
Message 69 of 90 (1,448 Views)

Hi everybody,

I have to come back to the prob discussed here. I experiensed with my Tap 11 (SVT11227PXB - purchased in Apr 2014) the same problem - the keyboard became absolutely dead after certain step of upgrading to Win 8.1 in May 2014. All talks with Sont support didn't help. The "Keyboard receiver" switch in Change PC Settings - Network - Airplane Mode was missing (there are only switches Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and NFC). Pairing tool didn't work (as many mentioned here - with the message "Failed to get the dongle handle"). However, some day in Dec 2014 my VAIO Update app notified about a new update of Keyboard Receiver Firmware. I downloaded and installed it - and the Keyboard Receiver appeared in the Airplane mode screen and the Pairing Tool worked! So, the keyboards started working. Some time in Sep 2015 a new update for the Keyboard Receiver Firmware was issued, but I didn't install it - just in case - not to risk to come across the keyboard failure again.
But one day in Jan 2016 - after some next Win 8.1 update - it stopped working again! This time in the Airplame Mode screen the main switch became greyed and ALL secondary switches disappeared! However, Wi-Fi, BT and NFC continued to work - only the keyboard failed to function.

I tried to install the latest Keyboard Receiver Firmware (EP0000323846) but the update keeps on failing to install.

I completely reset the PC to the factory settings (using VAIO Care) - the main switch of the Airplane Mode as well as Wi-Fi, BT and NFC switches were reinstalled, BUT NOT THE Keyboard receiver switch!!! Neither works the Pairing Tool. I again tried to apply the latest Keyboard Receiver Firmware (EP0000323846) - but again it failed to install.

Then I tried to upgrade the system to Win 10 - everything worked fine save the Keyboard Receiver. Then I rolled back to Win 8.1 - the result is the same. And now I am writing this message crying for help.

Will treasure anyone's ideas/advise. Thanks.

Dmitry

Apprentice
Message 70 of 90 (1,415 Views)

Hi, Dmitry,

I experienced the same situation but somewhat different. Here is how I wake up Tap 11 with it's own wireless keyboard under Windows 8.1:
0.Recharge the wireless keyboard until the orange light on keyboard dispear.
1.Upgrade BIOS to lastest version (R1140V8).
2.Shutdown Tap 11 for 5 seconds, then press ASSIST key to enter into BIOS. Run "Restore Factory Default", it should clean keyboard receiver firmware cache.
3.Upgrade keyboard receiver firmware to lastest version(1.86 EP0000323846) and pair, please follow the instruction, it should work.
4.Turn the wireless keyboard switch on before reboot Tap 11, you might be able to enter the password for your account with keyboard to login.

Before user covers the wireless keyboard on Tap 11, remember to turn the wireless keyboard switch ON first. Then the receiver connects keyboard automatically next time he wakes Tap 11 on. I have to say that Tap 11 is design for Windows 10, even it is my last choice.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook