Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Hardware & Networking

Tuning Up
Magnes
Accepted Solution

VPCEB33FD - my hard drive is dying

Hello,

My laptop first didn't recognized the USB drives then 3 days ago gave me a message....it's dying.

I thought I got a virus, so in the last three days I saved my data with very creative methods as my USBs were not working, then I went back to factory setting.

Since I restored my laptop I'm getting these messages; " SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Disk... " before Windows, then I got the Intel message from IRST "Disk on port 0: At risk", and once in a while I got the Window 's message too to backup my data immediately.....

So I looked up these online and my conclusion is that it's dying and I need to replace the hard drive.... I'm ******ed off as this is only an about two year old laptop ( my old Toshiba still works 6-7 yo but slow), and now I have to send about $100-$250 to get a new hard drive??????  I paid big bucks for this machine as it's SONY.... :smileysad:

Questions:

1) Do I really need to change the hard drive?

2) If yes, then what should I buy HHD or SSD? I heard HHD gives you more space, and SSD is faster...

3) My hard disk is Samsung HM500J1, need to have the same one???

4) How can I make it sure that the new hard drive will be compatible with my resource disk??

I'm really frustrated and have no idea it's worth to change the HD or just get a cheap new laptop as it will die in two years anyway.....:womanfrustrated: 

Thanks

Please use plain text.
trung

Re: VPCEB33FD - my hard drive is dying

Magnes,

1) Do I really need to change the hard drive?

SMART error usually indicate that you have multiple bad sectors, you can try any diagnostic utilitlity that will

attempt to repair the bad sectors but you might have other problem like performance and loosing data..

2) If yes, then what should I buy HHD or SSD? I heard HHD gives you more space, and SSD is faster...

You're correct, usually HDD is usually cheaper with more space but SSD "usually" are faster, no rotation but

could be more expensive.  Keep in mind that if you're buying a replacement HDD then you need to buy one

with a 512 sector if you want to use the OEM recovery disc with the unit.

3) My hard disk is Samsung HM500J1, need to have the same one???

No, you do not need the same exact one..please refer to answer provide in question 3 above.

4) How can I make it sure that the new hard drive will be compatible with my resource disk??

The only requirement is the new hard drive has to be a 512 sector drive to be compatible with the recovery

media, if you're installing a retail copy of Windows then it should not matter..

Please use plain text.