Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Hardware & Networking

USER-981105
Accepted Solution

Vaio Microphone not working

I have Sony vaio model No. VGN FW590F3B with inbuilt webcam and microphone. Inbuilt microphone suddenly stopped working yesterday. But webcam and speakers are working fine. I have Windows 7 operating system.I checked microphone are not muted uninstall microphone and reinstalled them. Can't figure out what happened suddenly. Need help to sort out the issue
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
KimberlyS

Re: Vaio Microphone not working

Hello and welcome to the forums.
most likely its a settings issue in your sound properties.

Open Sound from the Control Panel (or right click on the speaker icon in your system tray)
Select the Recording Devices tab. is microphone listed? is it enabled? if its not right click and select show disabled devices then enable. make sure there are no special effects turned on. check the Levels, is volume at 100%? is the Boost at 10? .
Under "advanced" make sure the Exclusivity is turned on for 3rd party items to take control.

if this is not resolving your issue reinstall the audio driver and try the above steps again.
Realtek® High Definition Audio Driver
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-do ... group_id=6
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
USER-957813

Re: Vaio Microphone not working

If you are using it in a coorporate environment you may want to check with your IT department. They can disable the microphone by settng the policy in Windows and you won't be able to turn it back on. My company does this for security reasons since remote eavesdropping is a legitimate possibility.
Please use plain text.