Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 8 (2,524 Views)
Accepted Solution

Vaio PCG-7185L

My son has dropped off this PCG-7185L Viao laptop, which does not appear in any of the Sony product listings. The disk was bad, and I have put in a new one. All I have is 64 bit Win 7, and the computer will not accept or work with it.

I am able to get it to accept an XP SP3 disk, so I think that this computer is 32 bit? Can anyone confirm that please. I get the BSD trying to install the XP disk.

Microsoft will not let me download an ISO image of win 7 32 bit, saying that my serial number is OEM and that I must call SONY. Sony is not going to help.

If anyone has any idea on how to proceed I will be delighted to hear it. Thank you very much in advance.

Ian

Message 2 of 8 (2,463 Views)

Re: Vaio PCG-7185L

[ Edited ]

Hi, Chromian

Welcome to Sony Community! 

Is the unit came with Windows XP? May we have the exact model name of your Sony VAIO computer? 

Regards,

Vincent 

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 8 (2,417 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thank you for responding Vincent. The label on the bottom says "Model PCG-7185L"

The label at the bottom right of the display reads "VGN-NW250F".

So I'm not sure what this is. The stickers on the keyboard say "Intel Core Duo inside" and "Windows 7"

Service Tag is ***21J**. The Microsoft label says "Windows 7 Home Prem OA Sony Corporation".

The hard disk (WD320) was totally wrecked so I am starting from nothing with a new hard disk blank. My son could not lay his hands on the system disks or anything, as he had recently moved.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

chromian

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 8 (2,368 Views)

Vincent. I have a new message from you but no links work and I cannot read it. This thread only shows 3 entries, even though you may have replied recently?

Could you send/resend your latest response.

Thank you,

chromian

Message 5 of 8 (2,333 Views)

Hi, Chromian

PCG-7185L is just the chassis number. Based on the specifications of your Sony VAIO VGNNW250F, the unit came with Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit. You cannot just install any operating system to your machine. What we recommend is to get a recovery disc and install it to your computer. Visit here order a recovery disc: https://sony.encompass.com/general/Contact-Us

Regards,

Vincent 

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Enthusiast
Message 6 of 8 (2,261 Views)

Hi there. Well I was able to repair the original hard disk, and then loaded the factory restore partition. Then I copied everything onto another hard disk and will keep the original for long term backup.

I don't like the modern practice of not supplying backup system disks. It is the equivalent of charging for carry-on baggage. Sony and its partners did not have a system restore package for sale for this model. So I am glad that I managed to fix it myself.

Thank you for your support Vincent. Keep up the good work!

chromian

Problem solved. Thanks.

Apprentice
Message 7 of 8 (2,256 Views)

Re: Vaio PCG-7185L aka VGNNW250F

Enthusiast
Message 8 of 8 (2,242 Views)

Re: Vaio PCG-7185L aka VGNNW250F

Thank you Doug. Laptop is now working normally I think. Will find out as I try to use it.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook