Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Hardware & Networking

MarkCr

Re: Windows 8.1 - AMD Radeon Hybrid (Blocked)

Hi SUSHI!

If your device manager still registers your AMD graphics as (blocked), then you can check out this link - AMD. Hope this takes care of the issue. 

Good Luck! - MarkC

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
npro

I have a VPCSB190X.

After upgrading to Win 8.1, in device manager, instead of my AMD video card, I now see:

Microsoft basic Display Adaptor.

This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

The driver trying to start is not the same as the driver for the POSTed display adapter.

So what's the fix here?

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
SUSHI

MarkCr,

I'm really tired with answer from Sony trying to do some test with me but without labs.

(Sorry for my english)

I CAN'T do download from AMD website because VPCSA2 uses an hybrid adapter.

You can see my older posts to understand how I could install a clean Windows 8 Pro in this laptop, because SONY can't do it for us.

And again, I need a simple new driver for this adapter because the version 9.1 DOES NOT WORK with Windows 8.1.

The lastest version from AMD driver is 13.9.

It's a big gap from Sony, isn't ?

I only need a new driver from these hybrid graphic to complete the Windows 8.1 upgrade package.

So, do you know if Sony is working to release this driver for yours customers ?

Thanks,

Sushi

Please use plain text.
RyanC

SUSHI wrote:

Yes and it's not work.

I guess this release is the same of Windows 8 x64

But I've done download again from Windows 8.1 section but it's not working when I change to STAMINA mode (blink in black screen)

Please install that driver while in SPEED mode, not in stamina mode.

Also before installing 9.1 please uninstall all video drivers that you currently have installed (AMD and intel).

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
SUSHI

Really ?
Why it's so difficult to Sony release a new driver for us ?

It's so hard to do some test because MS does not enable unistall 8.1 package!

I'd like to receive a new video driver package from Sony to solution definitely my problem with this.

In this moment, I'm forced to use Windows 8 Pro only because the video adapter does not work properly.

I'm sure I won't but another Sony VAIO with video adapter modified by Sony.

My new laptop MUST BE a original video adapter, prefer GEFORCE.

I've a VPCCW21FX and I got to upgrade easyly to Windows 8.1 Pro Edition.

My new laptop is freezing in Win 8 Pro because this MESS hybrid video card.

Sorry for this message in first business day, but I really would wait from Sony other posture and answer from our problem.

Sushi
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
TimSu

Hello Sushi!

Have you tried uninstalling all traces of the AMD driver and then downloading and re-installing the drivers?

~Tim

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
SUSHI

Hi Tim,

Did you read my last post ?
No, I didn't tried to do this test yet BUT I tried to install a full and clean Windows 8.1 Pro setup formatting the Windows Partition, and I couldn't get to work this video adapter properly.

Any info more ?

Again, when Sony will release a new driver for us ?

I can't do it because AMD doesn't enable to modify yours setup like GEFORCE and this laptop (VPCSA2) has a hybrid video adapter.

Sony, please, send us a new release for this driver!

I really hoped Sony more helpful with your customers.

Thanks,
Sushi
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
Keiran

[ Edited ]

Sushi, you're not helping the situation by not actually trying anything they suggest. You mention they are using you as a test but without a lab. That's exactly how we, anyone who tries to diagnose things over the internet, need to do it or there is no way we can help you. It's always a process of elimination and if you don't eliminate possible problems then no one can help you. Problems with computers number in the trillions and we can narrow down to anywhere between a few dozen to a couple by the symptoms but not beyond that without looking at the computer ourselves.

I can try to help you but you do need to follow my directions. I have experience with AMD/Intel hybrid graphics having issues with a clean install on a separate laptop (Dell, hybrid is not exclusive to Sony) and I had to do some unusual steps to get it working.

First off, I do need to you download the video drivers for both Intel and AMD and that you switch to SPEED MODE. This is just to speed things up later on down the line. Uninstall both the Intel Video Driver and the AMD Video Driver from your system. Restart then install both the Intel Driver and the AMD driver. As a side note, you can use the one from AMDs site if you want the most up to date driver version. Hybrid graphics doesn't mean they use a special video card just that the laptop can use either the graphics cores on the or the stock GPU from AMD. I can't guarantee stability though. After you have installed both and restarted the computer, I need you to try the two different modes, Speed and Stamina and log what happens. I also need you to open the Intel Graphics and Media Controller and go into Power and see if it is set for Maximum power in SPEED mode. This part is very important and what is supposed to change when you switch from SPEED to STAMINA and it's also what allows the AMD graphics card to work properly. There are more steps but lets leave it here and report back to me what happens.

Cheers,
Keiran
#SuperUserbySony
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
SUSHI

Keiran,

Sorry If I'm not helping to Sony understand they need to release a new driver for this hybrid video adapter from newest driver from AMD Hadeon and Intel video adapters.

I'm a technology professional and I've tried to upgrade the Windows since MS release the Win 8.1 RTM in the MSDN site, with no success.

I wrote a forum thread how I configured and installed a clean Windows 8 Pro in my laptop (VPCSA21GX) and in my wife's laptop (VPCCW21FX).

Note: Sony says the VPCCW2 does not support Windows 8, but I need to build a new INF file from NVIDIA setup to get to install this driver in this laptop. And of course, I got to install the Windows 8.1 too.

But I couldn't get success to upgrade the Win 8.1 MS Upgrade from Win8 Store or install a clean Win 8.1 Pro setup.

In first case, upgrading to Win 8.1, the video adapter did not work properly.

In second case, installing a clean Win 8.1 Pro, some features including the video adapter didn't work!

Conclusion:

It's so easy for us Sony release a new hybrid video driver with new drivers from AMD and Intel.

I will be very happy with Sony to get to upgrade my Windows easily as MS and Sony likes to be, but it does not true!

Really, after this work, my next laptop won't be with AMD Hadeon or hybrid video card, because it's so hard to upgrade Windows in this case.

I can say with NVidia GeForce I can download a newer driver, modify the INF file and easy setup it in the laptop, or in other case, buy an Apple machine.

I'd like to help Sony to build and understand our difficulties to make a better company and customer service.

And I know it's not only Sony laptops. My friend has a Dell and he has the same difficult to upgrade Windows to 8.1 version because his hybrid video card.

I will try install a clean Windows 8.1 Pro in a new hard drive to make a new LAB and new steps to get it as soon I will have time to do this.

In this moment, I hope Sony undestand me that Sony needs to release a new driver to provide every features from laptop's hardware and features from Windows 8.1. Now, I'm using Windows 8 until this hybrid video adapter work properly in this new version of Windows.

I know MS does not work together your manufactures, but we need to find best solution for all uses Sony VAIO.

Thanks,

Sushi

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
Keiran

[ Edited ]

All right, I'll leave you to do your own thing. Note, Sony and I were trying to help by going over the standard stuff which you have not indicated trying at all. I cannot help you if you do not try anything I suggest. Sony cannot help you if you do not try anything yourself.

You also seem to be under the confusion that the graphics card is a special, hybrid card which it is not the case. The Hybrid part is all software based and is merely there to try and optimize battery life. Basically, Hybrid graphics just means there are two graphics card on the system. Generally the two graphics cards on laptops are the Integrated Graphics Card on the CPU (Intel 3000/4000) and the Dedicated Graphics Card (AMD 6630m, etc). Just having two graphics cards on the computer means it uses hybrid graphics. The computer then uses software to switch between cards. Generally the IGP (Intel Graphics) are on all the time and the DGP (AMD) is only turned on when told to by the Intel Graphics software.

Because it is software based, you must properly configure both Intel and AMD Catalyst to work correctly. Sony and all other manufacturers pre-configure the devices for you. Clean installs wipe away the pre-configurations. At least try configuring Intel and AMD before saying this is a driver issue (it is not the drivers but the software that comes with the drivers causing the issue). Again, I am overly familiar with your situation and got very frustrated with my Dell Vosto 3550 for the same reason until I realized it wasn't driver based but software based.

At the very least, look at your Intel Graphics settings. Right click your Desktop -> Select Graphics Properties -> Basic or Advanced -> Power -> Maximum Performance. If you are not set to Maximum Performance then Intel will overrife the AMD graphics card and your computer will not show the AMD graphics card does not exist. Again, software issue, not driver.

Cheers,
Keiran
#SuperUserbySony
Please use plain text.