Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Hardware & Networking

New Contributor
USER-906009
Accepted Solution

Wireless capability is turned off

Hi, today I've install a fresh copy of windows 7 and at the begining everything was fine. I've installed everythink I need and then I spot that fn buttons doesn't work. I was install the three vaio's utilities but the fn buttons still not working. So I decided to install the XP version of the utility ( like for the card reader - it works fine with XP drivers), but after this installation wireless card stop working and windows detects that problem: "Wireless capability is turned off". So I try to activate it, but with ni success. Then I reinstall again Windows 7 and the problem was still there!! After this for a 3th(!) time I've reinstall win7, but this time I delete first 100mb and the partition and create them again. The result was the same! Please help!
Please use plain text.
PeterT

Re: Wireless capability is turned off

USER-906009,

What is the model number of your VAIO PC? You can turn on the Wireless by using the Windows Mobility utility within Windows 7.

1) Click on Start
2) Type Windows Mobility Center
3) Click on Turn wireless on

USER-906009 wrote:
> Hi, today I've install a fresh copy of windows 7 and at the begining
> everything was fine. I've installed everythink I need and then I spot that
> fn buttons doesn't work. I was install the three vaio's utilities but the
> fn buttons still not working. So I decided to install the XP version of the
> utility ( like for the card reader - it works fine with XP drivers), but
> after this installation wireless card stop working and windows detects that
> problem: "Wireless capability is turned off". So I try to
> activate it, but with ni success. Then I reinstall again Windows 7 and the
> problem was still there!! After this for a 3th(!) time I've reinstall win7,
> but this time I delete first 100mb and the partition and create them again.
> The result was the same! Please help!

Sony Community Manager
Sr. Software Engineer
Peter Tat
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
USER-906009

I've started a ubuntu 10.10 live cd and that solve the problem :smileyhappy:. Somehow this wireless capability is turning on and off on hardware level and that is why the preinstalation dosen't solve the problem. And the next I want to ask is why downloaded utility from win7pro section show me "this is only for windows vista" message??? That is the source of all my problems with this sony vaio notebook!!!
Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
omairanas

The turn on wireless button is disabled. It cant be ckicked at all. Please suggest another way

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
ChelitoWorld

Hi,

This is not an answer, I have the same problem, the led that indicates wireless is off and, i cannot connect to wireless network, the troubleshotter says that windows capability is turned off, my model is VPCF136FM i have recently upgraded windows from 7 to 8.1.

Could you help me please:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
bjnew54

Go to Vaio Smart Network utility and slide the switch to "on". This should take care of your problem.
Please use plain text.