Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Hardware & Networking

Tuning Up
shelak123
Accepted Solution

my sony vaio netbook keeps losing my wireless connection

[ Edited ]

I have a Sony Vaio netbook and the wireless internet connection works fine. Except it keeps randomly disconnecting as if it loses the connection and then gains connection again after about a minute. What could be the cause and how can i fix it?

My model number is VPCM13M1E which the Sony eSupport website desn't seem to recognise.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
Miguael

Re: my sony vaio netbook keeps losing my wireless connection

[ Edited ]

Hi Gordon,

Try re-installing the Wireless Driver to troubleshoot the issue.

Next, go through the instructions provided here: https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34310

Next, follow all the steps mentioned here:

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31669

This community is for the US, Canada and Asia Pacific customers. I’ve provided the general troubleshooting steps. I suggest you to contact Sony Support Team in your country for the further assistance here: http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/Support/

Note: If my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution."

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
shelak123

Thanks Miguael, will try and revert back.

Not sure how to reinstall my wireless driver though as the support website doesn't seem to recognize my model.

Any ideas welcome,

Gordon

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
Miguael

[ Edited ]

Hello Gordon.

You can download the Wireless Driver for your computer from here: http://download.sony-asia.com.edgesuite.net/vaio/downloads/Win7Original/20111Q/VPCSB/AUDFPD-00243103...

Note: If my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution."

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
WendyA

Firstly  - the reason the sony site doesn't recognise this model - is they put the wrong model no on the sticker when they were shipped out! (I found this buried in another thread somewhere :smileywink:

The correct model no is: 

VPCM131ME - you may also have /w etc for colour - i.e mine is white :smileywink:

I have just had to take my fathers netbook into a local service centre (independent, not Sony) and they spent hours updating drivers etc.  I could have done all this myself, but it was not the best of times for me.

The service centre have advised me that 'In their opinion' the main reason for the dropping of the wireless signal is that the netbook/wireless device is not intended to be powered on/in use 24x7. (My father is elderly and has not got the knack of making sure the netbook is 100% powered down/switched off. I am now telling him to remove the battery and unlug from the mains supply!)

It would appear (again in their opinion - and I would like to konw what the official Sony line is on this - I will be dropping them a message after posting here) - that the device is only intended for very basic/limited time use as it is not as robust as what would be in a desktop or laptop computer.

I must say this is disappointing news (if true) as the reason we bought Sony (and paid extra) is the quality of the product.  

I will let you know what Sony's reply is.

In future, I will be using either an ethernet cable to connect direct to internet, or an external dongle if the wireless is not up to it.  

To be honest, even I was confused by the wireless on/off switch on the front of the vaio as I have not had to worry about this before.

It all seems a bit of a faff. (The computer shops other advice was to make sure the wireless device was switched off when not using the internet/email conn)!!

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
andy1992uk

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I had this issue on the exact same machine. Sent it twice in for repair and they said that there was nothing wrong with it. I was pulling out my hair trying to figure out what the issue. I must have factory restored it half a dozen times. Then I realised that it would only happen when using google chrome.

somehow, I still don't understand it, google chrome just made it drop connection. Uninstalling that and the issue went away.

Now I am having the same exact issue on the vaio duo 13.

It has a bug whuch causes the wifi to drain way too much power whilst in standby. Yet when I update the driver the disconnection issue happens but the power draw bug is gone.

wth sony?

Their official reply is always reinstall everything but its obviously an issue in the driver itself.
Please use plain text.