Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Hardware & Networking

Groovin'
dserra
Accepted Solution

vaio duo 11 touch screen problems

I m experiencing a touchscreen issue. Started out very rarely pressing in one particular spot but over the next few weeks progressed to happen quite repeatedly, to the point where i couldnt use the laptop at all. The screen just starting to randomly press that same upper left spot again and again...  

Any suggestions?

I know that a lot of people are experience the same problem doing a quick internet research! But no solution yet!

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
Miguael

Re: vaio duo 11 touch screen problems

[ Edited ]

Hi dserra.

Try re-installing the Touchscreen Driver to troubleshoot the issue. You can download the driver from here: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?template=EN&mdl=&upd_id=8158&SMB=YES

Next, follow all the steps mentioned here: https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37394/c/65%2C66/kw/37394

Note: It is required to take backup of all the data before performing the system recovery, as it erases everything from the computer.

If the issue persists, contact Sony Service Assistance Team to initiate a repair: http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/service.pl

Note: If my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution."

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
dserra

Working on it. The first step doesn't work as the problem persist! Now i will try the systen recovery.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
dserra

i did the  system recovery and the problem is still there, so i leave the computer at sony assistance. Let’s see!

Please use plain text.
ez Groovin'
Groovin'
ez

Did you get a resolution to this issue?

I have experienced the same problem since I first bought my Duo 11, and it's been getting more frequent in recent weeks.

I contacted Sony Support about it a few months ago but just got stock replies about reinstalling drivers :-(

I refuse to do system recovery because I know that it won't fix the problem and will just take me a lot of time. Never, in my extensive experience in technical support and software development, has running system recovery ever done anything towards fixing hardware issues such as this. (windows system restore, however, can be of use in such situations)

I've tried the different drivers available but it doesn't make any difference.

I don't expect drivers to fix the problem unless it's mentioned in the driver release notes.

The problem can be worked around by putting the machine to sleep and then waking it up again, which suggests to me that a driver or firmware update /might/ be able to fix the problem by sending a 'reset' to the hardware when odd touches are detected.

(oh, and it's definitely 'touch' events which are being sent, not pen event or mouse cilck events: the on-screen feedback shows this)

The other possibility is defective hardware.

However Sony Support seem unwilling to explore either options and don't seem to even recognise the problem.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
Lobo187

Having the same issue here. Constant touch signals being picked up in the top left corner. It causes websites to zoom in and out, reults in banner ads being clicked on and causes menus to pop up in desktop apps. Seems to happen only when the system is in tablet form and only once the device has been in use for some time, so it could be temperature sensitive. I'm dropping mine off to Sony today for warranty.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
surfers13

Had the same problem, and at a point where it was unusable, so I disabled the touchscreen. Though now i dont have the problem but i have no touch. I tried to renable the screen to find out that the screen is now containing an error in the connection and will no longer allow to be renable. Reseting device to see if i can get it back or if it will work. but for others be care if disabling the touch as you may lose it completly.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
dserra

Hello there,

After try everything the solution comes from sony center. I leaved the computer there and they did some software update that solved completely the issue but modify a lite bit the behavior of windows. No big deal and the problem are fixed.

Good luck

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
sidran32

If you're experiencing the same issue as I have been, I realized that it only occurred while it was plugged in to an AC adapter. Apparently there's grounding issues when it's plugged in that causes false touch events to be triggered on the touchscreen. I usually get this with my third-party charger (which I use at work), but not  the first-party one I have at home (though it still might occur with it).

My fix is to just unplug the power adapter and plug it back in. Usually that resolves it. If that isn't giving me any luck, then I just use it while it's unplugged for the time being.

I figure it must be a hardware issue. I don't know if the newer versions of this model fix this problem, but I don't believe there's much that a software update can do about it. I've tried updating drivers and reinstalling fresh to no avail, before I figured this out.

Please use plain text.
ez Groovin'
Groovin'
ez

These last two replies are interesting. Both suggest different solutions (one software. one hardware)

@dserra - do you happen to know what software update they installed for you? If such an update exists then it would be very useful for them to provide it on the support site...

@sidran32 - this is interesting. I use my Duo 11 plugged in almost all the time, and will test this out and get back to the thread. Your response seems to be the most likely reason for this happening.

It would also help explain why Sony 'support' are so unwilling to openly admit to this problem: they don't want to have to do an expensive product recall.

(Hey - anyone remember the overheating Sony Vaio laptop batteries back in the mid 2000s? Weren't they fun!?!)

Fixing this problem on an individual basis is cheaper for them.

However, seeing as this thread has 3000 views as I post this, it's an issue that's affecting a lot of people and it would be good to get an official response from Sony.

Please use plain text.