Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Hardware & Networking

Groovin'
theano

vaio temporarily cannot display certain web pages - many times per day

This is a new (Dec. 2012) Sony VAIO SVT131 with 8gb RAM, i7 chip, Win8, IE10 and Chrome v24. Connected to Belkin wireless G router and cable broadband. This problem has been going on since I got the computer.

Randomly several times a day I get "HTTP 500 Cannot connect to the web page" when trying to view sites such as CNN, Google, or many others. Other pages from the same site also fail to display. Only one site fails to display per instance. The error message says to try agan in a few minutes, and sure enough, a few minutes later, the page displays fine. But it is getting very annoying, because it happens multiple times a day, and I should not have to wait several minutes to access websites.

I don't think it's the router, wireless network, cable connection, ISP, or wireless adapter, because while this is happening, I can still access other websites and web pages fine, both from this and other computers on the network.

I don't think it's the websites, because at the same time as this computer fails to display them, other computers on the network display them fine (some Win8/IE10 and some Win7/IE9/chrome/firefox). (Besides, how often would websites like Google or CNN have server issues.)

I don't think it's IE settings, because Chrome has the same issue (when a page won't display through IE, it won't display through Chrome either). A few minutes later, both work again. I have repeatedly cleared my browser caches, rebooted the computer etc.

Although this computer can still access other sites while this is happening, I think it must be a computer-specific issue. I have never had this problem with any other computer. With this computer I have the problem many times a day since Day 1. This computer was very expensive compared to my others, and it should work right to access simple web pages like Google.

The Sony Tech tried Remote Assistance but couldn't see anything wrong. I would have to call while the problem was happening. But once I get through the hold queue, it probably won't be happening anymore. It always goes away on its own, but it happens very often.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? Thanks, Theano

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
Miguael

Re: vaio temporarily cannot display certain web pages - many times per day

[ Edited ]

Hi Theano,

Try performing all the steps mentioned below to troubleshoot the issue:

Click on the Compatibility view option located next to the Address bar in the Internet Explorer Application.

Next, try resetting the Internet Explorer following all the steps mentioned here: http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/documentLink.do?externalId=C1032195

Next, disable the Anti-Virus Software and check if it works.

If the issue persists, contact Sony Telephone Assistance Team here: http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/support-contacts.pl?mdltype_id=24

Note: If my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution."

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
meagen17

I asked the same question but worded the issue differently. This issue is honestly making me want to throw it because this laptop is pointless if I cant use the internet. I read the comment with ways to fix the issue. I hope it worked for you. Ive done both of those before joining the community and had someone look at my computer and it didnt fix anything. Im surprised i was able to get on here just to post.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
theano

Most of the solutions are for IE, when as I said in my original post it is happening in Chrome too.

As for disabling my antivirus, ok I can do that next time it happens, but that doesn't sound like a solution.

I already used telephone support which turned into remote assistance as I also stated in my original post, but by the time I get through the support queue and the agent connected to my computer the issue was not happening anymore.

The issue is transitory but happens many times a day and it happens on Chrome.

Theano

Please use plain text.
JoelP

[ Edited ]

Theano:

The next time it happens, please try this:

• In the Windows 7 Start/Search box, type msconfig
  • In the MSConfig Utility, go to Startup tab and disable everything there
  • Click OK and reboot

If the issue disappears, it may be something loading at startup (I am assuming here that you are still using Windows 7 and have not upgraded to Windows 8).

If this doesn't work, let us know on the board.  There may also be something loading via Windows Task Scheduler which is intermittently interfering with your connection.

FYI, you can repeat the same procedure to re-enable the startup items you want to load at Windows boot up.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
theano

This is a Windows 8 computer. It came this way, I certainly didn't "upgrade" and have considered "downgrading" to 7, but I'm getting used to it I guess. It is pretty usable, now that I uninstalled all the bloatware and discovered the keyboard shortcuts and disabled the "touchpad gestures" via a registry hack. And no, that wasn't the cause of connectivity issues, they were happening before. But I assume disabling all startup items is the same process, or maybe thru Task Manager. So I can try that. Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
meagen17

Id be iffy about disabeling all start ups. Ive done this before as well. It actually created a new problem which took longer for me to fix because apparently I disabled something it needed to start up. To be honest Id rathe just go back to windows 7, buy a whole new laptop and everything. I apprechiate the help but its still not working. Ever think maybe its the laptop that causing the connection problems and not our network, or the things weve already loaded on our laptops?? Just saying. Nothing gets done on this laptop because the interet wont load and stay that way long enough for me to complete anything. My VAIO is kind of a bummer :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
JoelP

[ Edited ]

Theano & Meagen17:

The only way to determine for sure what causes this is to slowly eliminate possible causes.  Have you tried connecting to a different wireless router at a friend or family member's house, or possibly at a public hotspot?  If you have the same problem there, the issue is more likely on the laptop.  On the other hand, if you can stay connected elsewhere, it sounds like the router may need an update.

Please try disabling all startup items (in Task Manager if you are running Windows 8).  As mentioned before, you can always go back in there to re-enable any of those items.  Another thing to try is booting into Safe mode with Networking.  When you boot in this way, you can connect to your wireless network and test it with only minimal software running in the background.  Please let us know what you find.

Note:  To start into Safe Mode with Networking in Windows 8:

1. Go to charms, and click Settings, then 'Change PC settings'
  2. In PC Settings, click 'General' and scroll down in the right hand pane to locate 'Advanced startup'
  3. Click the 'Restart now' button
  4. Once the PC restarts to the Windows Recovery environment, click 'Troubleshoot' and then 'Advanced Options'
  5. Click 'Startup Settings' to access the menu where you can select Safe Mode with Networking.

Please make sure to choose Safe Mode with Networking, otherwise you won't be able to connect wireless in Safe Mode.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
theano

Thanks for trying to help us.

By the way, the way I always restart my WIndows 8 PC is from the password screen, click Power icon, choose Restart. If you don't use a password, CTRL+ALT+DEL will also bring up the Power icon in the lower right corner. Or, if you want to go through Settings, just click the Power icon, it has Restart option.

I understand that you must eliminate all possibiilities in order to diagnose the problem. The thing is, this problem is so transitory that by the time I would complete one of those tasks like rebooting into Safe Mode w/Networking, disabling Startup items, or contacting Customer Support, the website or sites in question will invariably be working again. The only thing you can do then is wait for the next fail. If it comes fast, good, you've eliminated one cause, if not, you cannot say you eliminated the cause until some good long time (like days) go by with no fail. 

Naturally, I have a life, and I didn't plan to spend it troubleshooting Internet access on a brand new computer. Since the pages always do show up again, it's not a showstopper yet, but it is SO annoying like when I just needed to check a page fast this morning when leaving the house and got a fail. It always seems to happen at the worst times. 

Your suggestion about the router could also be followed. However I should say that I am sitting here surrounded by 3 Windows 8 PCs, a Windows 7 PC, a Surface, and two Kindles, all connected to the same wiireless router, and I have never had and still do not have this problem with any of them except this Vaio.

All I can hope is that this will eventually be recognized as a problem with this Vaio, and some fix will be sent out. 

I too am rather sorry about this purchase. This was the most expensive computer I have ever bought except for my first one in 1990. I thought I would get the best, but it turns out it is really sort of a low-end model which I did not realize. The first thing I noticed was that the sharp corners poked me in the hands, wrists, and body, and the keyboard was very hard to type on. (I never had tried the chiclet keys and they are supposed to be so great so I thought I would try it and then I hoped I would get used to it. I spend most of my life typing.) Then this internet problem cropped up.

I probably should have tried to return the computer right away, but I figured I couldn't anyway now that it was opened and used. I thought some of it was probably Windows 8 learning curve and I just hoped I would get used to it. I don't think that's going to happen now - mostly because of the typing issues - so anyone want to buy a slightly used Vaio with internet problems?

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
theano

I just took a lengthy online assessment test, clicked Submit to view the results, aaaannnnndddd.... "This page can't be displayed."

Oh - two minutes later - page displays. But of course, my score is blank. Have to start all over.

Yes, ready to toss the thing out the window right now. 

Please use plain text.