Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Software & Other Operating Systems

Tuning Up
artowen
Accepted Solution

Can't adjust the brightness of my computer screen. Clicking on Fn and F6 or F5 no longer works.

Can't adjust screen brightness.  Woe is me.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
TonyM

Re: Can't adjust the brightness of my computer screen. Clicking on Fn and F6 or F5 no longer works.

Hi,

What is the model # of computer? Refer the following link to locate the model #:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/support-info.pl?info_id=264#notebook

Have you made any changes to shipped operating system?

Try the steps listed on the following link to adjust the screen brightness:

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-is/windows7/adjust-your-monitors-brightness-and-contrast

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
dale0008

Re: Can't adjust the brightness of my computer screen. Clicking on Fn and F6 or F5 no longer works.

I have been having the same exact issue regarding the screen adjustment. It started about the time I got one of the Windows or Sony up dates. I also cannot update my software through the Vaio Care system.

I have gone through all of the available function on the computer system and with the keyboard functions with no response. I have the latest windows 8 update.

If I reset my computer then the keyboard function will start working again, however, once I close my laptop to put it in sleep mode and then come back later, when I open it automatically stops responding to screen brightness adjustment commands.

My modle number is: SVT15115CXS

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
TimSu

Hi dale0008!

What version of windows are you using? Have you tried manually downloading and installing the Sony Vaio Notebook Control and Utilities and Sony Shared Library? You may get them here

~Tim

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
dale0008

[ Edited ]

I am using Windows 8.1

everything is up to date at this point. The screen brightness is still unresponsive unless I reset the computer. But again once I wake it up from sleep mode it become unresponsive again.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
TimSu

Hello dale0008!

Can you try these steps?

1.Launch Task Manager

2.Terminate two tasks 

•esrv.exe

•esrv_svc.exe

3.Delete “sony_acpi_battery_input.dll” Under “C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Care\ESRV\sony_acpi_battery_input.dll”

4.Restart PC

Hope this helps

~Tim

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
dale0008

THANK YOU SO MUCH! You are awesome! Worked perfectly! Best laptop I have ever bought by the way!

Merry Christmas!
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
TimSu

@dale0008

Glad to have helped. Enjoy!!

~Tim

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
jpsf77

Hey,

I'm having the same troubles of dale but i cant find the dll file or the tasks that you mentioned! Can you help me?

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
scrannel

[ Edited ]

Why don't you just disable "Adaptive" screen?  That's what's causing this and was designed to do so. 

Please use plain text.