Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Software & Other Operating Systems

Tuning Up
derickc

FLIP 14A Stylus Pressure Sensitivity Not Working with Adobe Photoshop

It looks like pen/stylus digitizer pressure sensitivity does not currently work with Adobe Photoshop on the Sony VAIO FLIP 14A. From other posts online, it seems this problem exists across all of the FLIP models - but I'm personally not sure about that.

I just finished talking with Sony Support (239-245-6311) where they said they have been aware of the issue since Dec 9th, and are currently working on a device driver fix to address the problem. They stated that the software should automatically download through the VAIO Update software when it is ready. They could not give a date, saying that "their engineers do not tell them" when fixes will be ready.

One support technician said that FLIP pen pressure sensitivity currently ONLY works with Microsoft Paint and ArtRage - and nothing else.

(It seems borderline unethical to me to sell a device for it's pen capabilities when it doesn't fully work yet - and they know this.)

If the fix isn't coming soon, this FLIP is being returned for an HP laptop with proper stylus support.

Can someone from Sony comment on when the fix is expected to be released?

Please use plain text.
MarkCr

Re: FLIP 14A Stylus Pressure Sensitivity Not Working with Adobe Photoshop

Hi derickc,

I came across your post and hopefully this link resolves the issue at hand - NTrig. Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
Keiran

Re: FLIP 14A Stylus Pressure Sensitivity Not Working with Adobe Photoshop

[ Edited ]

derickc wrote:

One support technician said that FLIP pen pressure sensitivity currently ONLY works with Microsoft Paint and ArtRage - and nothing else.

(It seems borderline unethical to me to sell a device for it's pen capabilities when it doesn't fully work yet - and they know this.)

If the fix isn't coming soon, this FLIP is being returned for an HP laptop with proper stylus support.

Can someone from Sony comment on when the fix is expected to be released?

Go to Mark's link for 32-bit Photoshop pressure sensitivity support and I'll go ahead and answer these questions.

The pen should work with anything that supports Microsoft's INK API, ArtRage, Clip Studio Paint, etc. The pen is pressure sensitive and is fully functioning regardless as to whether or not one piece of software can make use of the pressure sensitivity. Not unethical and certainly fully working.

HP uses Wacom digitizers which use the old WinTab driver which is what Photoshop has been using since inception. Sony uses NTrig which isn't new but only started actually competing with Wacom's lower end digitizers like the one found on the HP Envy or the Wacom Bamboo series. I'm glad Sony is boosting NTrig as we do need fresh competition in the digitizer market as Wacom has held a monopoly for far too long (stagnation has occurred).

Sony is working with Adobe for a more complete fix than the one in the link Marc posted but that'll likely be available a little further down the line.

Cheers,
Keiran
#SuperUserbySony

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Hey people with Digitizer equipped Vaios! I am trying to improve our experience by including button mapping in the Vaio Control Center so we can pick what the two button on the digitizer do. Take a look here for more details and Kudo if you want Sony to make it happen:
https://community.sony.com/t5/Join-the-Inspiration/Vaio-Digitizer-Button-Mapping-in-the-Vaio-Control...

Cheers,
Keiran
#SuperUserbySony
Please use plain text.