Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Software & Other Operating Systems

New Contributor
Kojak
Accepted Solution

Forgotten BIOS Password

Hello:

I have a Sony Vaio notebook, model VGN-FW160d, out of warranty. I need to get access to the BIOS, however I have forgotten the password. I have made several calls to Sony Customer Technical Support and Customer Relations, but they refuse to help me.

Sony is requesting I fax a copy of the original receipt, which I don't have. I went to the store where I purchased the machine, and they do not keep record of the purchase beyond one year. I advised the Sony representative of this as well, and they refuse to assist. How can this be? I realize the security issue standpoint, but I'm the owner of the computer!! What am I supposed to do? Throw it in the garbage and go buy another one? I have talked to alot of Sony support folks, and they all say there is nothing they can do without the receipt. I can't find my original receipt, it's been well over a year since i bought it, and I can't even get it from the store. I am caught between a rock and a hard place here, it is very frustrating.

Any advice?

thanks.
Please use plain text.
MatthewB

Re: Forgotten BIOS Password

I'm sorry that you were having difficulty getting the BIOS password unlocked on your VGN-FW160D. There are certain security protocols Sony need to go through to authorize this being done, however we have looked into your issue and in this circumstance we have been given authorization to get this done for you - please give us a call back, quoting the reference number E49406783 - your file has been updated to ensure that you will be escalated to a tier 2 representative to resolve the issue:

http://esupport.sony.com/CA/perl/suppor ... =VGNFW160D
Please use plain text.
MatthewB

Hi Kojak - I'm bumping this thread up again as I understand you haven't yet contacted Sony for the BIOS password reset - please give them a call and they will get the issue resolved for you.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
USER-918289

Model: VGN-FJ370
I have replaced my hard drive after it failed. I am now trying to enter my BIOS to make sure that the hard drive is recognized but I forgot my BIOS password.

Since I purchased this laptop ~ 4 years ago, I no longer have the bill. I called customer support and the person told me that since I don't have the bill, I'll have to send this laptop back to San Diego to get the BIOS password reset (they cannot just give me a reset password even though I give them the key number that appears on screen).

The person also told me that Sony has a Program Number for the VGN-FJ series laptops where the BIOS password has to be reset, so there would be no charge for this service (sending to San Diego to reset BIOS PW), even though the laptop is no longer under warranty.

Why can't I just get a reset password for the laptop instead of sending it to San Diego. I'm worried that I'll be sent a bill afterward. Can someone confirm that I can get the password reset without having to send it to San Diego? OR, if I do have to send it to San Diego, that there will be no surprise charges after it is sent.

Secondly, I tried looking on the Sony eSupport web-site for some info regarding this Program Number, but am unable to find anything about it.

Thanks,
Please use plain text.
MatthewB

@USER-918289

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forum. In order to look into the issue on your behalf I need a reference number to identify your case - if you could supply this I would be grateful. The number will probably begin with E5.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
USER-918289

The following is my reference number.
E50587847

Thanks for your help.

Looking forward to your reply.

Another side note, how do you initiate a post? I didn't figure out how, so I replied to the initial post.
Please use plain text.
MatthewB

Many thanks for the information - I have referred the issue to the relevant team to get the matter resolved for you. Please give Sony product support a call again, quoting that same event number:

http://esupport.sony.com/CA/perl/suppor ... l=VGNFJ370

To start a new thread you should see the [NEWTOPIC*] button on the top of the page when you select a specific section of the forum.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
USER-918289

Thank you for your help and Information on posting a New Post.

I will contact Sony Support this week-end and post my comments.

Regards,
Please use plain text.
MatthewB

Your file has been marked for escalation straight away, so the call shouldn't take too long. Please call before 7pm Eastern time.
Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
ljubomir22

i have the same problem....

i bought my lap top in 2008, who else keep recepiet for 5 years....???i need to enter to the bios meny but asking for password...model is vgn-fw 140e...i spoke with costumer support and they said they cannot do anything without proof of ownership...i have lap top for 5 years,i have a lot files there and  now i am stucked...can somebody help me please...

Please use plain text.