Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Software & Other Operating Systems

Tuning Up
PSD1701
Accepted Solution

My sony vaio laptop does not recognize the cd/dvd drive. It did a month ago, but not now. Any help?

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
TonyM

Re: My sony vaio laptop does not recognize the cd/dvd drive. It did a month ago, but not now. Any he

Hi PSD1701,

I suggest you uninstall and resinstall CD/DVD drive.

The CD/DVD driver is operating system generic and can be reinstalled from the Device Manager.

Click on the start menu, and type: devmgmt.msc in the search box and press the enter key to open the Device Manager window.

Expand and right click on the CD/DVD drive category in the Device Manager, and select the uninstall option.

Then, restart the computer to install the default CD/DVD driver automatically from the operating system.

Check if the CD/DVD icon is listed in the computer Window.

If no, follow below steps to resolve this issue.

Press Windows key + R and type “regedit” in the computer window.

In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

In the right pane, click UpperFilters/LowerFilters.

On the Edit menu, click Delete.

When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

Exit Registry Editor and restart the computer.

If issue persists, please provide the model # of the computer for further troubleshooting.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution."

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
rosieme

Re: My sony vaio laptop does not recognize the cd/dvd drive. It did a month ago, but not now. Any he

Thanks. The uninstall/re-install fixed my problem. It works now !

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
ratishs

Wonderful Suggestion !!! It works..i had the same problem. whenever i put in the disc, the drive would spin and try to recognise the disc but kept failing after 3 tries !! I did the re-install of the driver using the steps mentioned and wallah ti just started working as it used too !!

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
poppyskyestudio

Hi,

My CD/DVD drive was working until tonight and it just stopped working all of a sudden.  The indicator light comes on and flashes 5 times, meanwhile the spinning just halts.  I tried the steps you suggested, but even after the registry has been updated, the same symptoms persist.

My Vaio's model number is PCG-3J1L.  Please help.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
TimSu

Hello poppyskyestudio!

For us to check your computer's specifications, can you please provide the exact model name of your laptop.

~Tim

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
poppyskyestudio

Sure, It's VGN-FW520F

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
TimSu

@poppyskyestudio!

Kindly try uninstalling and re-installing the drivers for your cd/dvd drive. You can find the drivers here.

Hope this helps

~Tim

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
cutie_pie

Hey, I did exactly whats written up there and it worked for some days and now its not working again. I tried doing the same thing but now it wunt work at all. Some cds work and some dont. Plz help!
Please use plain text.
MarkPa

Hi cutie_pie,

What kind of cds/dvds that are not working?

Please use plain text.