Skip to the end of navigation

Welcome to the Community!

VAIO - Software & Other Operating Systems

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 11 of 147 (21,432 Views)

Re: My sony vaio laptop does not recognize the cd/dvd drive. It did a month ago, but not now. Any he

All the ones that say dvd-R. Those are the ones that do not work all the rest work.
Enthusiast
Message 12 of 147 (21,429 Views)

Re: My sony vaio laptop does not recognize the cd/dvd drive. It did a month ago, but not now. Any he

Actually some of the rest say dvd-R as well but they work. And some dont.
Expert
Message 13 of 147 (21,416 Views)

If your DVD drive works with DVD movie discs, then it's probably the DVD-/+R discs. I suggest you DO NOT buy generic DVD-/+R discs. Make sure you buy name brand QUALITY DVD-/+R discs otherwise you will experience DVD rot. That's when the glue between the layers of a DVD disc deteriorate and the DVD-/+R disc becomes unreadable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_rot

Enthusiast
Message 14 of 147 (21,413 Views)

Alright thanks Smiley Happy
Enthusiast
Message 15 of 147 (21,389 Views)

Hi,

I am using a VPCEA36FA Sony Vaio laptop. when I insert a Sony CD-RW 700mb CD it does not read, the Drive properties shows the file system as 'unknown'

I also have a Sony VPCCW15FG Vaio laptop, this machine reads the CD. The file system  shows CDFS.

I have tried the solution mentioned on the earlier page 'regedit ..... restart', with the first laptop, but does not seem to work.

Expert
Message 16 of 147 (21,380 Views)

You're DVD drive might be dead or dying. At this point it's probably best to replace the optical drive. You can probably find a replacement online:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=sony+VPCEA36FA+dvd+drive&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m...

With you model of Sony VAIO laptop, I don't know if you'll find the right bezel color, but if you buy a replacment with a different color, the bezel should be compatible. You can probably remove your current bezel and replace the bezel on the replacment. There is a small force eject hole on the front on the DVD drive. Use a paper clip and insert into the force eject opening and the tray will pop out. Check near the bezel and look for a screw. If there are no screws, then you are safe to gently pop the front bezel off.

Rookie
Message 17 of 147 (21,256 Views)

Hello,

I am having the same issue with my VGN-FW190. I tried both the uninstall/reinstall and the regestry filter delete tips without any success. Do you have any other troubleshooting tips? Thanks for your help!

Expert
Message 18 of 147 (21,249 Views)

If your CD/DVD drive isn't reading store bought CDs or DVDs like DVD movies, then you may have a failing CD/DVD drive and you should consider replacing it.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=VGN-FW190+dvd+drive&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l...

Rookie
Message 19 of 147 (21,051 Views)

I have tried the steps listed for uninstalling and reinstalling my disk driver but it still won't work.  When I try to open it, I get this error message "E:/ Application not found".  My model name is VPCF234FD.

Message 20 of 147 (21,037 Views)

Hi kari_se,

It's possible that the file/device lost it's association. Try using this link as a reference regarding this issue - E:\ app not found. Hope it helps. 

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution". Have a nice day.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook