Skip to the end of navigation

Welcome to the Community!

VAIO - Software & Other Operating Systems

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rookie
Message 71 of 157 (2,425 Views)

Re: My sony vaio laptop does not recognize the cd/dvd drive. It did a month ago, but not now. Any help?

[ Edited ]

The second post worked a treat!
Only, I don't remember my disc drive being quite so loud?
Albeit, I am importing CDs so maybe that might be why.

Rookie
Message 72 of 157 (2,325 Views)

Re: My sony vaio laptop does not recognize the cd/dvd drive. It did a month ago, but not now. Any he

I can´t delete the folder properties in the subkey - Access denied

Rookie
Message 73 of 157 (2,262 Views)

Re: My sony vaio laptop does not recognize the cd/dvd drive. It did a month ago, but not now. Any he

Hi Mate

LAPTOP:  Sony Vaio E Seriess VPCEB23FG

I have followed the instructions that you posted.

Did everything listed down including the instructions and gettign the laptop to recognise the DVD player again.

However I still cannot get the laptop to boot up and open the DVD files.

My computer runs Windows 7 and all the updates have been installed. If you could help me sort this one out it would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Craig

Message 74 of 157 (2,232 Views)

Hi kiwicpnzer,

Welcome to Sony Community! Sorry to hear that the issue issue still persist even after the attempt to fix it. 

For further assistance regarding your concern, please contact the Sony offices/Sony representative offices nearest to your place of residence in Asia Pacific region http://www.sony.co.nz/section/home. Due to proximity, they are in a better position to respond to your questions or concerns.

Regards,

Jen

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Rookie
Message 75 of 157 (2,186 Views)

Re: My sony vaio laptop does not recognize the cd/dvd drive. It did a month ago, but not now. Any help?

I have a Z series, with a docking station and when I plug it in, everyhting works and the computer charges but I can't see the DVD drive. I can see my external hard drive and my mouse works as well, which is connected to the actual DVD drive. How do I go about reinstalling the drives for this?

Message 76 of 157 (2,153 Views)

Hi jltoland! Thanks for visiting Sony Community! 

I'm really sorry to hear this. Kindly try the troubleshooting steps here: 

1. Reset the BIOS defaults.
2. Power cyle the unit - remove the battery and AC adapter, then press and hold the power button for 5 sec or look for a pinhole on the bottom of the unit, then push it for 5 sec using a satefy pin. 

3. Or follow the article "The optical drive is missing from My Computer, but shows in Device Manager with a conflict"  

Hope these help. 

Best regards,

Vincent 

Rookie
Message 77 of 157 (2,129 Views)

None of these solutions worked. I think possibly the USB port is damaged, which is strange because it's a working USB port. Any other solutions?
Message 78 of 157 (2,098 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi jltoland

Are you using a portable USB DVD drive? You said "I think possibly the USB port is damaged".Try to plug in any USB device on the possibly "damaged port". You may also try to plug in your USB DVD drive to another computer to test. Check if the DVD will appear.  Kindly visit this link for further troubleshooting: How to troubleshoot issues with the USB ports on the computer

Thanks,

Vincent

Rookie
Message 79 of 157 (2,054 Views)

Hi Vincent,

In my original post, I said:

I have a Z series, with a docking station and when I plug it in, everything works and the computer charges but I can't see the DVD drive.

The DVD drive is connected through a USB port and power plug with the docking station. This USB port works for everything, including a USB mouse, a USB drive or even for items that are plugged into the docking station. I only brought up the USB port because it was a slim possiblity but I doubt it since so many other things are working with it.

Message 80 of 157 (2,452 Views)

Hi jltoland

Sorry about that. Yes, you have a Z series with docking station (Sorry I just don't have the corrent model). And everything works except for DVD drive. Let's isolate the issue again.

• Please insert any disc, then check the power light indicator (Docking - Illuminates in green when the docking station is turned on, blinks in orange while your computer is in Sleep mode, and blinks in yellow while data access to the optical disc drive is in progress). 
  • Run updates, Vaio Updates and Windows Updates.
  • Check the Device Manager if DVD drive is detected. You can also click View -> Show hidden devices. If you'll see a device with exclamation point, select and right click -> Uninstall (do not delete the driver). Then restart the laptop. 
  • You may run System Restore
  • Kindly check if Optical drive is detected, go to BIOS again, Boot tab, and check for Optical Drive (DVD/CD/Optical). 
  • If all of these wont work, the last option is to perform a Full Format Recovery to fully isolate if this is a software or hardware issue. 

Hope these help. 

Best regards,

Vincent

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook