VAIO - Software & Other Operating Systems

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 11 of 23 (1,209 Views)

Re: My sony vaio laptop says operating system not found when booting up

[ Edited ]

Editing Bios needs 3rd party applications, Default Vaio Bios contains hidden options and you can not see them in bios screen (Pressing F2 or DEL)

If you are using SSD, Make sure your ssd is fine and not corrupted (Test it with other laptops)

Message 12 of 23 (1,119 Views)

Hi Mountainjunior,

Welcome to Sony Community!

We're sorry to hear that you're also getting the same error message. Thank you for attaching the BIOS page screenshot as well. The capacity of your hard disk drive (HDD) is 1000GB, it is located on the next column aligned with the HDD. Therefore, it is detected. You may refer to this link, https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44854/p/48903,49902,74254,90785/c/65,66/kw/operati..., to troubleshoot the error on your laptop.

Regards,
Jen

Answered your question? Glad I could help! Please Click the "Accept as Solution" button below.

Enthusiast
Message 13 of 23 (907 Views)

I have exactly the same problem. I already checked the BIOS and my hard disk is detected, I executed theVAIO-Hardware diagnose and no problem was found ! Finally I started a system recovery operation, but the rescue of the data failed ( beim schreiben der datai ist ein fehler aufgetreten )  . So I did it allover again after setting my Bios to the default values, but ....... Same result. So I am totally confused now and do not know further action to solve the problem
Enthusiast
Message 14 of 23 (878 Views)

Thanks for the suggestion. My laptop has a hybrid serial ATA-300, which as I understand it combines a SSD and HHD. So I'm not sure how to test it with other laptops. Do you mean take it out and install it in another laptop or connect it with a cord to access the files? Just not sure what you mean or how I would do that. The bottom of the laptop doesn't have any kind of bay or door for easy removal of the drive. 

Enthusiast
Message 15 of 23 (870 Views)

Hi Jen. Thanks for responding. I went to the link you posted, followed the steps and as it states in #6 (

1. If the HDD is detected in the BIOS but the operating system still will not load, perform a System Recovery) I attempted a system recovery per Article ID: 36806 (How to perform a System Recovery from outside of Windows). However in trying to complete the steps in that article, I get to step #3 and choose Recover or maintain your System [F10] as it states, but at this point my computer goes to an all black screen that says "Checking Media" in the upper left hand corner. After a moment, it then says "Checking Media_[Fail]". This scenario is not addressed in that article, so what should I do from here? Am I at the point now where I have to get it serviced and call 888-4SONYPC? My other big question is since my BIOS screen appears to indicate that the HDD is intact, does this mean there is a good chance of recovering my files? 
Enthusiast
Message 16 of 23 (838 Views)

If your HDD or SSD is not detected in bios (before hard reset), you have to find a way to take it out and install it in another laptop to make sure it's not a hardware problem.

Hard reset = reset with holding power button. (It's a temporary 'fix' for a permanent problem !)

So you should check bios setting with soft reset (ALT+CTRL+DEL) after u got "Operating system not found".

Enthusiast
Message 17 of 23 (763 Views)

I have a similair problem with my Sony Vaio SVE1513H1ESI.

2 days ago, while I was working on it, I got a message saying that something had gone wrong and it had to restart. When it restarted I got the Vaio screen and then it said operating system not found.

Via the assist button I got into the BIOS. The HDD is visible. I changed the settings to boot from cd but when I restart the computer it finds the disc puts a blue windows icon up for about 40 seconds but then goes to a black screen and doesn't do anything.

Through the assist button I have also tried pressing F10 (Recover or maintain your system) and it just goes to the operating system not found page.

In the BIOS options I now have it in Legacy mode otherwise in UEFI mode it doesn't got to disc.

I have also tried booting from USB with the same results

Rookie
Message 18 of 23 (719 Views)

My HDD is detected but the Pc isnt starting...its saying OS not found How shud i start my laptop
Enthusiast
Message 19 of 23 (712 Views)

if your HDD is detected in bios, repair the following items :

• A master boot record (MBR)
  • A boot sector
  • A Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store

For fixing you must enter following command in CMD (Windows DVD needed) :

bootrec /FixMbr

bootrec /FixBoot

boortec /RebuildBcd

More information :

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/927392/use-bootrec.exe-in-the-windows-re-to-troubleshoot-st...

Message 20 of 23 (580 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Mountainjunior,

Thank you for the update. We're sorry to hear that the recovery steps didn't work. 

The error "Checking Media_[Fail]" indicates that the recovery partition in the hard disk drive (HDD) is already corrupted. Unfortunately, we can't guarantee at this point that your files can still be retrieved. We suggest that you bring the laptop to a Sony Authorized Repair Center to have them check that for you. 

If incase the files are gone, you can only reinstall the laptop to it's original setting through a VAIO Recovery Disc. Refer to this link for more information about the recovery disc. one, https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/40648/p/48903,49902,55257,55264/c/65,66/kw/How%20t....

In addition, we don't recommend opening the laptop by yourself. As you can see, it's enclosed and there is no visible screw. Trying to open it up or fix the unit by yourself may lead to more serious problems. 

Regards,
Jen

Answered your question? Glad I could help! Please Click the "Accept as Solution" button below.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook