Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

VAIO - Software & Other Operating Systems

USER-928051
Accepted Solution

Restore computer to factory settings

Hello. How can I restore my Vaio computer (Model PCG-71318L) to its factory settings. I don't want to do a system restore to a point in time. I want to restore it to the factory settings.

To reinstall windows using the advanced recovery it states I require a "windows installation disc", yet the computer didn't come with one. How do I create a "windows installation disc." How is this disc different from the "System Repair Disc".

If I create a "System Repair Disc" will I be able to use that as a "Windows installation disc" when I reinstall windows.

Is reinstalling windows the same as restoring it to the factory settings? If not, how do I restore it to the factory settings?

My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium

Thanks and best regards
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
KimberlyS

Re: Restore computer to factory settings

Hello,
Welcome to the User Discussion Forums.
PCG-71318L is a Chasis number for all the VPC-EB-Series Laptops
to find your exact model number please review this guide here: http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/support-i ... 4#notebook

your EB series Laptop has a Hidden partition, to access it with the computer turned off simply press the [Assist] Button, it should turn on the computer and launch the Rescue partition.

if that does not work turn on the computer and tap the [F10] key a few times at the VAIO logo
a screen that states"Edit Boot Options" will appear
simply press enter and the tools will launch

once the tools load choose "C Drive Recovery" and everything will be wiped clean back to the original factory image. You can even use Rescue data to try and save any of your files before starting the Format.

Once the unit is returned to the original image once you are at the desktop of windows, press [Assist] to open VAIO Care and create a set of recovery software. all you need are 2 blank DVDs
Please use plain text.
USER-963307

Hi,

My laptop model is VGN-NW235F, I would like to restore my computer back to factory setting. I don't have any recovery disk. My OS is window 7. Thanks
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
KimberlyS

Hello!
we also welcome you to the Forums,
your laptop has a hidden rescue partition on your hard drive, this is in lieu of Recovery DVDs. as an end user, you can create a physical backup copy of this rescue partition onto DVD. ( recovery discs)

To answer your first question concerning C drive restore. Enter VAIO Care by pressing the [Assist] Button on your laptop or selecting VAIO Care from the Start menu. Once in VAIO Care choose Recovery then C drive recovery to return your system to the factory image.

To create recovery Software mentioned above this can also be performed while in VAIO Care.

Once In VAIO Care you should see the option to Create recovery software. 2 Blank -R DVDs will be required.

If you reformatted your computer and installed a Retail copy of windows, the only way to create the software is reinstall the original image from the Hidden Rescue Partition [F10] from a cold boot then when the original OS is reinstalled VAIO Care should be back. if the rescue partition was also erased , your only other option is to purchase the DVDs Here: https://servicesales.sel.sony.com/ecom/ ... =989201975

For anyone that has an older model without the assist button the hidden partition has been included on most units since as early as 2004 and the above instructions will help you recover your Computer,
for older units with Vista press, Start, Help and Support, Backup and Recovery, Launch VAIO recovery, then choose restore C.
for older units with XP press start, control panel, choose VAO Recovery, then choose Restore C
Please use plain text.
USER-989043

I want to factory reset my laptop Sony vaio E series model SVE141190X purchased around 3 months ago . I did not create any recovery discs and I want to factory reset using Recovery Area available on hard Drive.

1. I tried Assit button, it is not doing a factory reset. Just shutting down the laptop.
2. when laptop is off, if i press Assit it is diretcly going to windows as if I pressed power button.
3. I deafulted BIOS option also using F2 and deafult.
4. Pressing F10 also not doing anything. Just going to windows itself directly

I never installed any other operting system.

How can I factory reset in this case. Do I need change any bios options? If I create recovery discs now, will it be factory default version or current version with windows update.
Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
saadisaadu1

when i press assist button , it says bootmgr is missing, but the window is working fine, i am very depressed as i want to reset my laptop, i m using vpceb3l0e.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
antCamil92

Does this mean that computer will be restored with the OS as initailly bought?

Please use plain text.
RyanC

Yes, restoring to factory settings will restore the computer to its original factory condition including the OS that came with the unit, and all other software that it came with.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
acastrour

Hi I need to restore to the original factory settings my Vaio VPCF126FM.

8 omonths ago, I had several problems which I thought by formatting and reinstalling windows 7, will be solved but it didn´t and I lost all  the Vaio software package.

How can I get a recovery disk (CD) in order to perform it the new format or recovery?

Many thanks! 

Please use plain text.
RyanC

You can order recovery media from Sony Parts & Accessories

Please use plain text.